5.0 out of 5 stars G400s for gaming, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Logitech G400s Optical Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
Usage
To know anything about a review I think the usage is really important. Some mice that are great for RTS might not be so good for FPS and vice versa. Mostly I play FPS, my main game being Quake Live. I have other games also like Battlefield and COD but I always seem to come back to Quake Live since I like the gameplay and the community we have is great.

My previous mice - some points of reference
Microsoft Habu - My first gaming mouse. Used it for years, it felt a bit shaky. I did like it's shape. Only after this mouse I started to concentrate on my sensitivity settings which has helped me a lot.
Logitech G500 - Loved it but only used it for 2 weeks. After a while my fingers started itching because of the metallic wheel which I was allergic to so I went to try out other mice. Had bought it from a store which allowed 1 month return even for used items.
Razer Deathadder - After 2 days of use, I felt like my wrist was broken, couldn't return it so had to sell it. Not a bad mouse but not for me.
Logitech MX518 - Used it for around 1 year. The shape was great. The only problem for me was the logo where your palm rests, I got some allergy from it after a while. I cut the plastic packaging the mouse came in to cover it and the mouse buttons, gave better grip than MX518 but was a bit ugly. After 1 year it started acting up so I got myself G400 from warranty.
Logitech G400 - First thing I did with this mouse was to remove the logo - I took a knife and removed it. Had a lot of glue under it, was a bit of a pain to get it off of the mouse. Used it for around 1 year before a button started acting up (not sure what was the problem). Called warranty, asked what I could do to fix it and they sent me my G400s.

Logitech G400s
Loving it. As with G400 I had to remove the logo right after starting to use it, but this time it had way less glue and it didn't stick to the mouse at all after removing which was a plus. If you need to remove it (and don't care about possibly leaving one really little dent), just grab a knife, wedge it under the logo and just press the knife down so that the logo pops out. No problems at all.

Also now I have the same great grip I had with my "customized" MX518 - the coating of this mouse is great. With this mouse and a huge mousepad I can happily use the mouse with low sensitivity settings without having to worry about wrist pain.

Another bad thing besides the logo I had to take away are the DPI buttons. I use constant 800 DPI everywhere since I like how that works in windows and can change my games to work with that. The DPI down button is placed close to the mouse wheel so I sometimes accidentally press it messing up my game for a while, but that was easily fixed by the official driver software available. I changed the DPI down button to my mumble/teamspeak/skype talk button, DPI up button to toggleable "clicker" (keeps clicking mouse 1), edited so that it only has 2 DPI modes (400 and 800) and made the default DPI button (lowest one of the small circle buttons) to cycle between them.

The looks
At first I thought the mouse looked a bit bad but after seeing it on my mousepad which does have some colors, it fits.

Durability
It feels as durable as the previous iterations. It seems Logitech has decided to make the durability even a bit better - there's a support for the cord, 1-2cm long rubber around the cord where it leaves the mouse. I've heard the cord of earlier models have given up, although I haven't noticed it at all, but added durability is always a plus.

Performance
I wouldn't be using this mouse if I didn't trust it. The sensor feels great, haven't had any trouble with it. My cm/360 (amount you have to move the mouse in order to turn) is 36 so I've found out that there are quite some mice that handle that quite badly.

Conclusion
I've owned some of the most popular mice out there and tried out other mice not worth mentioning as well. This mouse is so far my favorite. Good shape, good coating, feels really durable, has thumb buttons (total of 8 customizable buttons), better cord can get a nice driver software if want (works fine without it) and it does look pretty good on my table. Placement of the DPI button was a bit of a minus for me, but not a problem with the driver. Also I would love if they removed the logo, just went with a look like G500 which is beautiful.

I can easily recommend this mouse. Just remember that I don't believe there is one mouse that fits every hand and every game.

[After a while]
The DPI button wasn't good for push to talk - the button doesn't seem to stay down, only seems to be good for clicking, not keeping it down. Other than that I've not had any problems with the mouse during the 2 months I've been using it.

[Add comment]