5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV and Amazing Value, 5 April 2014
This review is from: (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Purchased this TV 2 weeks ago. I did a lot of research and was going to go for the 3D version of this TV but decided to get this one instead as was an extra £100 just for 3D. This TV is excellent value for money. I would like to say I came from a old Sony CRT which was about 22 inches and weighed a ton. First thing I noticed was just how light this TV is. It weighs just over 9kg and can be handled with just one person. Gone are the days when two people are needed to lift the TV. Although saying this, if you're mounting it to a wall you do need two people.

When you turn on the TV it goes through an initial set up: such as auto tuning the TV, setting up the internet connection and accepting terms and conditions. First thing I did was to go into the smart menu (the blue button) and then updated the firmware of the TV. Mine was 3 firmwares behind. Once this was done I turned on the Sky TV. I must say standard definition looks so much clearer on this than on my old CRT. The picture has more contrast and the colours are more vibrant. I was impressed. The sound has been reviewed as being tinny ... I can say it's not that bad. We barely have had to have it over 14. Usually its on 8 or 12 depending on the source. There is not much bass from the speakers but again, it's not that bad. Maybe if you like movies a lot you may want to consider getting a sound bar or connecting it to your hifi system etc. For me, it's ok.

One thing I've used a lot and enjoy is the smart feature. This is accessed using the remote controls blue button. I highly recommend getting an LG Magic remote as it's a lot quicker and easier to use. Using the normal remote there is a slight delay between pressing the button and the screen accepting what you are asking it to do. This is about 0.4-0.6 seconds. It's no deal breaker as the functions work really well. There are youtube apps, netflix, blinkbox, BBC iPlayer, 5OD, dailymotion etc. I've only used the youtube app. When you click on it, it loads an image of LG and then the youtube icon appears. It takes about 10-20 seconds to load youtube. I've got a 60mb virgin media connection but the loading is used via the internal processor. Once loaded browsing youtube is a lot easier again if you have a magic remote or the LG app on your phone. To search for items there are letters that you scroll left and right. It can take a bit of time again when selecting the letter for it to appear in the search box. Not instant like typing on a keyboard instant ... a delay of about 0.4-0.6 seconds ... a bit more when deleting. When you search youtube the results appear at the bottom as you type and then it gives you suggestions. EG: I typed Planet and options included Planet Earth. This makes searching quicker.

Youtube plays in HD. I put on a 1080p youtube video (although youtube videos output 720p or something like this - so I've read). The picture still looks amazing. Youtube does collate your view history. Which makes life easier if you want to watch it again. Also you can sign into your youtube account to access your favourites, likes etc. You can also like the videos and flag them. Not sure if you can add a comment.

Another thing this TV has managed to do is pick up my Plex Media Server without me doing anything. Now this is awesome! Although the menu on the screen isn't the same as watching Plex on a mobile where you get cover flow and IMBD ratings etc. It just lists the videos and any folders you have eg: my plex has Bollywood, Hollywood. Dramas, Documentaries folders and I can see these on the TV. If you click on one of these folders, eg: Hollywood then you can search using genre, date of release. items watched etc. Awesome!

Another thing this TV has is games on the LG App store. This is nice. You have to sign up to LG server to download apps but it's great. I downloaded a free darts app and works a treat. There are games like Batman and Spiderman on there too. but I think they are payable. Still was nice to see.

The Colours on the TV are nice. The settings I used are at the bottom of this review.

Overall: For the price this is an amazing TV and under £400 you can't get better. The TV has really nice colours and the smart TV functionality is awesome. Smart TV's are the future. Downsides are the sound could have more bass.

PROS
- Awesome colours and rich images
- Picks Up Plex Media Server (as long as you use the same network on the tv and the server)
- Can play pretty much lots of files (mkv, avi, h.264, mov) via the USB stick.
- Smart TV is nice, especially if used with a Magic Remote

CONS
- Sound could do with a little more bass. Play with the sound settings and you'll get something you like

Overall: Definitely worth considering buying this TV. 9.8/10 (0.2 reduced due to sound - again not a biggie unless your an audio junkie)

MY LG TV SETTINGS I USED AS A GUIDE - I found these settings on another amazon view. I played around with them a little bit like putting more contrast (plus or minus 5). You do the same as everyone has a different preference. My sound I did put on cinema sound. If you don't want to mess around with custom settings then the default or cinema settings are a good choice.

I prefer to keep any image processing enhancements like Tru-motion off or kept at a bare minimum.

Energy Saving OFF
Picture Mode ISF Expert 1
Backlight 60 (I changed this to about 65-70)
Contrast 87 (I changed this to about 90)
Brightness 52 (Changed mine to 60)
H Sharpness 25
V Sharpness 25
Color 60 (Put mine to 65)
Tint 0
Colour Management at default

Audio MUSIC
Clear Voice II 1
Sound Optimizer Normal

Other settings from another user:
backlight: 70
v sharpness: 10
h sharpness:10
gamma: 2.4
colour temp: warm 2

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]