4.0 out of 5 stars Too involved to be objective?, 30 July 2008
This review is from: Eclipse: 3 (Twilight Saga) (Paperback)
I have kept up with these characters, Bella, Edward & Jacob, for three books now and I am finding it hard to find my objectivity these days. Was this book good? Yes, they all are. Could I put `ECLIPSE' down once I picked it up? Absolutely not! But this was not my favorite book in the series.

Now before you all start throwing tomatoes (because I know many people think it is the best thus far), this goes back to my objectivity being compromised. There were so many great aspects of this book, for example, the flash backs as to how the rest of the Cullen's became vampires (loved that!), the history of the Quileute tribe and the story line about the newborns (which, in truth, I had higher hopes for but I liked it overall). But in my head there is a certain outcome that I would prefer for Bella, but by the end of `ECLIPSE' it became pretty clear that what I want and what is actually going to happen are two very different things. It is like watching a good friend make a lot of decisions that you know are really bad. It is frustrating.

Also, Bella was a little hard to deal with in this third book. She was whiney and selfish , in my opinion, quite often I wanted to slap her (smile)! I found her treatment of everyone from Edward to Jacob to Charlie off-putting and I often found myself screaming at the book for Bella to "stop being so selfish!!" Nonetheless, this book is just as engrossing as the rest, that point I cannot deny. I found myself reading 'ECLIPSE' faster than I have ever ready any other 600+ page book before. And I am waiting not-so-patiently on the edge of my seat for the fourth and final book in the Twilight saga `BREAKING DAWN'!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 May 2009 10:09:21 BDT
J. McCann says:
I totally agree with you about Bella being selfish and whiney, the first few chapters in New Moon I was beginning to dislike her and was tempted to stop reading the book. Thanks to my little cousin I didn't and I have been enjoying the read I've had and I'm now on to BREAKING DAWN, which I've been told is the best in the series; so lets see about that :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2009 08:33:24 BDT
Lizzie says:
I agree too. For the first few chapters I was tempted to stop, purely because Bella was annoying me soooo much. I mean, for most of New Moon, she pined for Edward. Now when she has him back, she whines about not seeing Jacob! I was screaming, "Make up your mind, woman!!!!" at the book. I haven't finished the book yet, but after reading this review and your post, J McCann, I will carry on to the conclusion:)

Posted on 28 Jul 2009 14:25:42 BDT
Catnip says:
I was trying to think of a best way to describe this book and you hit the nail on the head. I actually totally have gone off Bella in this book.

Posted on 8 Aug 2009 15:02:27 BDT
Luce says:
I am on chapter 6 and and I am really struggling. I'm tempted to skip the rest and start Breaking Dawn. Why did Stephenie Meyer make Bella so ungrateful?!? She was a bit annoying in New Moon, but she'd lost Edward so it was sort of understandable. But now Edward wants to marry her and all she can do is whine. What is wrong with her? We would all love to be married to Edward! I understand why Bella loves Edward, but quite frankly, I'm beginning to wonder why HE loves HER...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2009 12:25:27 BDT
Bella was pretty whiney and annoying in the first book - I dread to think what she is like now!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2009 21:32:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2009 21:34:16 BDT
I know everyone is going on about Bella, but quite frankly I began to take a dislike to Edward and was wondering what Bella was doing with this controlling guy who was setting all these 'conditions' and ensuring that Bella really didn't have any choice but to agree to them. I don't blame her for thinking about Jacob too. Fortunately by the end of Breaking Dawn I am back to being an Edward fan and think they make a great couple. Still, Bella has some self esteem issues and does spend most of Eclipse acting like the victim in an abusive relationship.

Posted on 15 Dec 2009 01:44:12 GMT
dmm says:
i couldn't agree more! i read it from first page to the last so fast it amazes me i was able to remember everything i read, and i love it! but still i think it is one of the most horrible books i've ever read. so i also hate it. because the story broke my heart and i just hated jacob so much in this book and in the end i hated bella even more - and edward too! i had the most awful nightmare the night after finishing the book - and i dont usually get nightmares from books, or at all.
but i mean, the fact that stephenie meyer can write in a way to make me so angry and so sad is just utterly amazing to me.

Posted on 20 Dec 2009 15:03:55 GMT
Mandy says:
I agree about Bella, she was a pain in this book. I also wanted a different outcome for her, but like you it was obvious I wasn't going to get it. I wonder if we wanted the same outcome??

I have to be honest and I didn't really like the sound of these books when they first came out but someone in my work lent me a copy of the first one because I read so much and I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't really want to read it. Boy am I glad he did that as I was hooked on the series right away and couldnt' wait to finish them.

Posted on 25 Aug 2011 18:53:54 BDT
E. A Solinas says:
Personally, I've noted her stifling selfishness right from the beginning. Nothing ever matters except Bella, Bella's safety, Bella's feelings, Bella's massive ego being stroked, Bella getting whatever she wants...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (811 customer reviews)

£7.99 £7.03