3.0 out of 5 stars Generally entertaining but be careful of the Collector's Edition..., 23 July 2011
This review is from: Kick Ass Collector's Edition (Hardcover)
I was a huge fan of the movie as it was a fantastic change of pace to the usual superhero movie. I knew a bit about the book and knew that there were some large differences between the movie and the book. The ending, which I won't go into detail about is far different in tone, but I think each ending works for their respective mediums. The book ending would have not worked on film and vice versa.

The story, written by Mark Millar is generally well told. I was a big fan of Millar's work from Marvel's Civil War which was a superb tale and one of the best I've read. While the overall story is fresh, I can't help but feel that Millar, knowing he had free reign on his own story with original characters, just decided to throw profanity in as much as possible. Sometimes it just feels too shoehorned in. It is, in my opinion, forgiven by its interesting premise though.

The art, by John Romita Jr. is fantastic and compliments the high octane plot with extremely violent scenes and more than a little splash of red here and there. There are some inconsistencies with the art however such as costume pieces changing colour and a criminal with a disappearing tattoo.

For the contents of this book - the story and the art - I would give this a 4 star.

The reason I've taken a star off though relates to this particular product; the Collector's Edition. I had to have two replacements sent to me because the quality of the book just wasn't up to scratch. The first book I received apparently had a problem with its printing plates because numerous pages had its images doubled meaning it was blurry and unreadable. The second book had a problem when the pages were being cut because a sizable number of pages had diagonal cuts across the corner of the pages. Fortunately the third book I received is fine and I thank Amazon for their swift service.

All in all, Kick-Ass is a great read though I prefer the film. Unless you really want a hard back copy like I did, I recommend the paperback which is half the price and one version offers extra pages about Hit Girl.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Aug 2012 02:34:38 BDT
MicHaeL H. says:
I don't think the problems you mentioned are really about the Collector's Edition?
I mean, those things could've happened with any book. It's not exclusive to this book...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2012 08:41:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Aug 2012 08:41:28 BDT
tom says:
It could happen with any book and maybe I'm just unlucky, but to get two copies with unacceptable issues in production suggest to me that those in charge of quality control during the printing of this book were not doing their job correctly. Additionally I ordered the collectors edition of Kick Ass 2 and found the ink on one of the panels had been smudged. Fortunately I could still read the panel well enough that I couldn't be bothered to risk going through the same process again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (47 customer reviews)

18.99 12.91