5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful sequel to the Sword of Shannara series, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Heritage Of Shannara Omnibus (Paperback)
I actually ordered this book by mistake. I remembered reading the Shannara series when I was a child, and wanted to buy the original series (Sword of Shannara, etc) but messed up and ordered this one by mistake. However, it was one of the best mistakes that I ever made, although a damn expensive one (as I'll explain in a moment), as it let me know about the sequels to the orginal series that weren't around when I first read the Shannara series.

The reason why I said that it's turned out to be an expensive mistake to make is that I have become addicted to the Shannara series again, forcing me (completely against my own will - ok maybe not, but I am sticking to my excuse here to explain why I've spent much more money than I orignal meant to) to buy the entire Shannara series, along with the Word and the Void series too (as, once you have read through most of the series, you begin to realise that the two series, although apparantly completely unrelated to begin with, are related after all - I won;t say anymore, as I don't want to ruin the plot for anyone or to ruin the wonderful suprise of finding the link for yourself). Where I originally thought I was just buying a series of three books that were a great read when I was a kid, I have now ended up buying the entire series of 21 books in the Shannara and The Word and The Void series.

To give you an example of how good these books are (and I hope that I don't get into trouble for saying this, in case it is taken as an accusation of some kind when it is really just meant as a compliment about how good the books are), I am a disabled person, and require regular medication of morphine to control my pain. These books are SO good that I have not only lost several nights' sleep in trying to keep reading them, but I have even missed taking my medication of Morphine, and even not noticed the pain while reading them.

As I previously said, I started out just wanted to reread a great series of books from my childhood (the Sword of Shannara, the Elfstones of Shannara and the Wishsong of Shannara), ordered this by mistake and discovered a great sequel series in this omnibus edition that I hadn't been aware of (also much cheaper than buying them individually). This then led me on to discovering that there was a prequel to the Sword of Shannara series called "First King of Shannara", and then onto the "Voyage of Jerle Shannara" series and on to the rest of the Shannara books.

A further problem that I have discovered, apart from now becoming addicted to reading the entire Shannara and The Word and The Void series, is that people keep listening to how much I rave about how good these books are, and so they "borrow" my books, and I never see them again, so have to buy another copy to replace the "borrowed" copies. It seems to be becoming like a flu pandemic actually, with me as patient zero... I have infected a few friends with recommending the book to them and loaning them a copy (which I never get back), but those people then end up buying the rest of the series too, and then they rave about how good they are to other of their friends and "loan" them a copy (also never to be seen again), who, in turn, become infected themselves with the "Shannara bug" and continue the pandemic - buying the series themselves, recommending them to other friends, who then end up buying the series themselves, and so on...

This series is meant to continue directly on from the Sword of Shannara series, with the Druid Allanon once again disrupting the lives of the descendents of the Ohmsford family and leading them off to save the world again in another series of riveting and wonderful adventures against evil within the Four Lands.

Whether read in order with the rest of the series, or read on it's own, it's still an amazing series to read. One of the greatest fantasy series ever written and, as I said earlier, extremely addictive and expensive as you end up becoming so addicted that you have to buy all the other Shannara books (plus you don't half annoy your postman with having them all delivered!).

Any fan of fanstasy fiction that doesn't enjoy the Shannara books is either mad, ill, or complstely lacking in imagination. I really cannot see why anyone could possibly find any fault in any of these books. They are not only worth the price of buying them individually, but with these omnibus editions, you can save yourself an absolute fortune (because, let's face it, you are going to end up buying them all one way or another anyway, so you may as well take advantage of the savings while you can).

Anyway, despite all my other waffle, the long and short of it is - buy this book! You'll regret it if you don't!

[Add comment]