5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, fabulous product, well worth the money, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: [All Smart Ports Upgrade] Anker® 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh (4A Output) Portable Charger Triple USB External Battery Pack with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, Galaxy Tab 4, 3, 2, Pro, Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, HTC One, One 2 (M8), PS Vita, Gopro, and other Smartphones and Tablets (Electronics)
Well, I am a bit of a techno-nerd, I have far too many mobile devices, and as is the vogue these days, they all have sadly underpowered batteries - gone are the days of mobile phones going 4 days without looking at a plug socket!!!

I have in the past made the mistake of buying those cheap "e B a y" specials, quoting phenomenal figures like 18000mAh, and then struggling to charge anything at all. Thankfully, I'm not one of those "once bitten, twice shy" types and I carried on looking for a portable battery charger that would actually be worth buying - I think I've found it!!!

I decided on this larger Astro3, with 3 USB ports because not only do my wife and I have iPhones, my son has a Samsung Galaxy and my daughter has a Tablet, plus on a day out we might also take their PS Vita or Nintendo DS. So as you can imagine, one 12v car charger isnt really enough, and as a family that enjoy camping and day trips, we arent even near a single plug socket on some occasions.

At £35.99 I will say this was a big decision, its a lot more than I have paid in the past for the aforementioned chinese specials (£9.99) but then they were a complete waste - my scepticism was prevalent at this point. However, with a special offer for a free "3000mAh Astro mini lipstick style charger" (worth £13.99) I decided to give it a go.

I will add that informing my decision to purchase was some fairly remarkable feedback and reviews on Anker products. Mostly their reviews are very good (5 star) which I can now understand, but on the odd occasion someone had given a bad 1-star review, they often included updates with tales of how Anker themselves had gone to lengths to replace devices that had been faulty on first use.

So right from ordering my positive impressions began - after the usual "Order Confirmation" emails, I received a dispatch update and then an email advising me my delivery would be arriving next day - while at work, I then received an email advising me that my delivery was with my next door neighbour!!

So on arriving home, I was eager to check out my new goodies.

The packaging is very stylish, quite minimalist, brown cardboard box with a printed sleeve. Clearly Anker arent into overpackaging, thats a good thing, and getting into the box is no problem with no need to destroy the box. Inside is the battery, micro-USB charging cable, a little grey carry bag and the "instructions". All very neatly packed and protected. My only gripe here is that Anker recommend to use a 1.5A AC adapter but do not supply one in box. I'm not sure whether 1.5A is a "standard" but if not, then perhaps ANker would benefit from including one? Luckily for me, I had also received my new "Anker 5-port 40w/5v charger" so this does the trick very nicely.

The Battery itself is so very obviously well made, a premium quality product, with a lovely tactile feel, a soft rubber like finish around the main body. It is quite weighty, not something to carry in your trouser pocket, but definitely OK in a coat or jacket pocket. The cable aswell is clearly a good quality cable, no corners cut here, and the carry bag is a nice little touch, keeps the lovely clean body of the battery safe, snug and clean while its in your pocket.

Performance. Well, the battery has about 70% charge on delivery, a little shake lights up a circle of Amber LEDs, 10 in total, 1 for every 10% of charge. I decided to charge it fully before first use. This didnt take long at all, only a few hours. So, now fully juiced up, and with a perverse pleasure, I plugged in just about everything I had to hand. My iPhone 5 on 60% battery (1440mAh), my wifes iPhone 5c on 41% (1510mAh) and my PS Vita at about 50% (2210mAh). Now stacking all that mAh up, theres a combined total to charge of just over 2600mAh - a fraction of 12000mAh available...however, these external batteries are only ever quoted at 65-70% efficiency (although Anker do say their second gen are 80% efficiency then...). SO at 80% the 12000mAh quoted should be worth 9600mAh usable.
So after a sound nights sleep, I check the result. all 3 of my devices are fully charged to 100% - success!! Even better, the Astro3 is still showing 7 LEDs or 70% charge, about 6600mAh remaining. Admittedly, I've only done all these calculations after the fact for this review because of how impressed I was, frankly I was just happy it charged all 3 devices.

SInce then, I've used it to charge my iPad 4, my wifes iPad mini, my work Blackberry and Playbook and my sons Kindle Fire (admittedly not on the same charge) so all in all this product really does deliver, .

Would I recommend it yes. Would I pay £35.99 - depends on what type of user you are...I know I will get good use out of this on camping trips with the kids watching their tablets, so absolutely yes I would. If this one is a bit much for you or your needs, maybe look at getting one of the smaller models that Anker have available..

My scores ;
Packaging 5/5
Appearance 5/5
Value 4.5/5 (it is expensive, but you do get what you pay for, and I did get the Astro mini free)
Performance 5/5