4.0 out of 5 stars The Great Rock `n' Roll Kindle, 30 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
As a librarian I feel pretty torn in two regarding readers such as the Kindle. While I'm all for encouraging reading amongst all ages - particularly teens - I'm loathe to see anything that is a threat to a traditional book. However, the Kindle is such a beautifully simple piece of kit I can't help but sing from the rafters how great this device is.

Firstly, it's very simple to use; I had downloaded and started reading some Conan Doyle free from Amazon within ten minutes of excitedly ripping open the box (the City Link guy said he was "sick of seeing those boxes!"). Secondly it really is like reading a real book. The display is crisp and clear and does need to be seen to be believed. Talking of which, at first I was a little bit of a dullard and was disappointed that I couldn't read this in poor light that the display didn't "brighten". Obviously, you don't read a real book in the dark or poor light and you don't and shouldn't with a Kindle.

I was using my Kindle on the way to work this morning on the train. The display wasn't affected at all by the bright winter sunshine, everything was perfect.

A couple of moans, but only small ones. The device can be a little slow and take a few seconds to catch up with itself (if you know what I mean). Battery power has been pretty useless, only a day rather than the month promised by Amazon, but I have had WiFi turned on constantly; I've turned that off now so let's see how we get on. I've also had a couple of "lock-ups" where the Kindle has just had a blank screen and has taken a few reboots to come back to life. One last thing, it doesn't read .lit documents which was disappointing, but I did manage to download a free converter from the Internet which does the job.

I went for the Wifi only version and I doubt I will ever need the 3G as a book isn't like a song so I don't think I'll ever think "oh, I desperately need to read the Da Vinci Code" and download it in the street.

The Kindle is an absolutely brilliant device and I would encourage parents to buy these for their kids after all reading is the new rock and roll!

EDIT: Kindle charge lasts for less than a day so Amazon are going to replace. Good service.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Mar 2011 12:55:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Mar 2011 21:01:11 GMT
Case Study says:
Can internet access be disabled? I have a 9 year old bookworm. I don't want him to have free access to the internet though.
As a librarian, would you recommend the Kindle for children?

Posted on 2 Aug 2011 14:30:04 BDT
jilly says:
I love my Kindle BUT when I browse for a book, the Title sounds good but there is no synopsis about the storyline, or am I missing something that would help?

I use my Kindle constantly and it is brilliant but, when it comes to buying new books, I struggle. I see a Title and then have to go to the bookshop to check if it's something I want!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2011 09:54:08 BDT
Surely you only have to go to the Amazon site to see a synopsis and also customer reveiws of any new book that you might fancy?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (11,613 customer reviews)
 (8,940)