5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Amazing! *NO SPOILERS* for those of you who havn't read it yet!, 6 Aug 2008
This review is from: Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4 (Twilight Saga) (Hardcover)
Breaking Dawn is a fitting end to the story of Bella, Edward and Jacob, and all the other characters we have come to know and love. Meyer really has a way with words, painting a scene exquisitly without boring the pants off the reader with too much detail! It is a very long book, and in fact it has three 'mini' books within, from the viewponts of Bella, Jacob, and then Bella again repectively, and yet I felt that every word was required, and I actually wanted more and more - I didn't want to let go of the story, and I read the whole book in one sitting (losing some sleep along the way too). The POW switch to Jacob is interesting, if not a tad irritating at first, because the reader gets that much more of an insight to is suffering and (in his mind) rightful hatred of the 'bloodsuckers'.

There are lots and lots of unexpected twists and turns in BD (perhaps a reason for some of the very harsh reactions against Breaking Dawn - it's not the book many fans expected it to be, however for me it had everything I expected and more, so surely that's a bonus?), with new plot lines and ideas, and new and old characters; in particular, I really felt that the reader comes to know the Cullen family properly, and to love them too. They have always been interesting minor characters in the previous three books (with the exception of Alice perhaps-she was always more of a major character), but in BD they all come to life beautifully.

Some readers would argue that the characters change personalities in BD, Bella in particular; I would say rather that all that she has been through is finally making its mark. She goes through two life-changing events in this book, and comes out all the more stronger for it. She was always stubborn, and I found that her personality developed and sharpened, which seemed a more natural development than if she had stayed exactly the same as the Bella we all know and love in the previous three books.
Other characters that undergoe a welcome development and grow from the 2 dimensional characters that they were before, are Jasper and Leah. We get an insight into both of their actions and behaviour in the previous books, and I for one found Jasper to be all the likeable instead of the cautious and slightly indifferent character we were faced with in Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse.

Not so much as a review from this point but a bit of a rant:
I really don't know why everyone hates the book so much! I think Stephenie Meyer is a victim of her own success, with fans writing their own version of events in their heads and developing Bella and Edward into people that that they never were! I'm not saying the BD is perfect, and neither were the previous 3 books in my opinion, but the characters behave exactly how you would expect them to, in accordance to how Meyer has portrayed them and bulit them up in the previous novels. They are S Meyer's creation, so she can do what she wants with them.

I knew a few spoilers before I read the book, so maybe I enjoyed it more because I was expecting less...there are some aspects of the book that I understand that some people might be less than happy with, with some scenes a bit more graphic than people might be used to. I personally wasn't offended by them and actually thought they added to the tension and drama of the plot, but I know this isn't the same for all readers.
I do, however, truely believe that the plot follows the only path it can (at the risk of sounding corney. I'm trying really hard not to give spoilers here people-harder than you think).
SM knew the outcome of the saga before she even wrote Twilight, and I think that that really shows: everything really comes together at the end, and I could really imagine how life would continue for all the characters beyond the pages. Some people were upset by the 'neat little package', but Hello? reality check: It's a book for teenagers (mostly) and it's S Meyer's first venture as an author; who wouldn't want to exert the power of the creator and make sure everything turns out just the way you want it to?
Sorry, I know im going a bit off the point here, but I can't help it, and if you enjoy BD as much as I did then you'll feel the same! NB: I was fully prepared to hate the book btw, I'm not giving it 5 stars just beacuse so many people have slated it! It deserves every one in my opinion.

Also, just to say, some people have been making a huge fuss about really small things, such as a name and a nickname for example, and I really think that's unfair on Stephenie! Yes, the nickname is a bit...well, yes, stupid, but the characters of the book themsleves admit this! It's not like they're living in a hunky dory world picking flowers and watching rainbows. The main characters react EXACTLY how they should act, and if anyone who's read the previous three books would know their personalities by now and should recognise that as truth. I think people should stop pasting their own faces over Bella and imaginag how they would have done things differently, and just accept that what Bella does is a consequense of her personality!
Not that it isn't a bit annoying but hey...

And back to the review...:
Anyway, enough of the rant. If you cancel your order, or decide not to give 'Breaking Dawn' a chance to even win you over as the other three books have done, all because of some stupid spoilers and rumours and bad reviews, then you will be missing a stunning conclusion to the saga. I'm still thinking about the book now, and when I finished it I actually sat in silence, in awe, for a few moments...please keep an open mind and enjoy BD like it deserves to be enjoyed!! Thank you :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Aug 2008 13:55:58 BDT
Thank you for you review, Elisabeth.
I agree 100% with everything you said and I too just can't get enough of Breaking Dawn and the whole saga.
I was stunned to see so many bad reviews, especially on Amazon.com . I can't possibly understand why people hated it so much.
Oh well... Nothing we fans can do about the spoilsports but to enjoy the stories and let the others mumbling to themselves....lol...

F.Hercheui

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2008 12:54:23 BDT
Elizabeth says:
I agree! i don't understand all the 1 star reviews; surely, even with all the flaws, it would still merit 3 stars or at the very least 2?? This is what makes it so obivous that people are upset it didn't go in the direction they wanted it to, and are doling out 1 star reviews to show their frustration! Glad you liked my review, it was hard to do it without spoilers there was so much more to say lol!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2008 13:16:32 BDT
I havent even read the book and i already agree with you guys, it is SM book and no one else, these are people she has made in her mind and no one else.
I love the books and have done for a long time (i'm lucky enough to have started reading twilight before it was an international best seller) even if the facts are alittle fuzzy for the whole vampire child (yes even i stopped to think on that) i am happy with the idea, if people wanted to be really picky about her view on vampires surely they would have had a problem with the first book when the cullens were out in day light and didnt turn to dust.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2008 16:46:04 BDT
Elizabeth says:
Exactly, people are prepared to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy Twilight New moon etc, but not to accept what happens in Breaking Dawn? Yes, there are some bits where I'm sure everyone was a bit like 'Oookay...', but in my mind SM does a very good job of explaining everything, whether in BD or throughout the whole saga. The clues are there if you just read them. I'm not saying everyone has to agree with the explanations, but give the lady some credit in that in her mind everything was well thought out and coherent! All the people who are saying that she must have been on drugs when she wrote BD aren't separating their own feelings from fact; ie, the book didn't end how they wanted/expected, so they immediately hate it, rather than recognising the skill in what SM wrote and the passion she has for her characters, so much so that she wanted them all to have a happy ending. Is that so bad??

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2008 13:33:01 BDT
I'm in total agreement too!!.. I'll admit that Breaking Dawn was different - but all the better for it! There was so much I didn't expect, but it was totally needed etc.
Working in a bookshop, I've found it really interesting to see different view points. I've come to the conclusion that the young adult readers were the more dissatisfied, (especially 'Team Jacob' ones) and the 'grown ups' were really very pleased with the outcome.
Stephenie Meyer, in my opinion, has created a mind-blowing saga, and I CANNOT wait for her other offerings! In the mean time, I'll just carry on 'converting' customers/friends/family members/random people in the street, practically anyone I come across, to give Twilight a go...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2008 14:48:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2008 14:48:26 BDT
Elizabeth says:
Yeah that's the conclusion I reached too; (at the risk of being shouted down by the people who didn't like it...) I think the majority of the people who didn't like the book are younger than the majority of the people who did, wether physically or emotionally. Note: I say MAJORITY, not all!
Also, the most 'hate' is from the Americans on Amazon.com (man I really hope Stephenie never goes on there - some of the stuff they're saying is really harsh...) and I think that might be because they have slightly different views on sex before marriage, religion and babies etc than we do. Just something I noticed from all the forums that are spreading the hate! It seems like they're so fixated on the fact that Bella gets married and pregnant at 18 and waits to have sex that they miss the whole point of the novel! Bella admitted before that she didn't want children, so it's not like she was aspiring to be a teenage mum! And surely if you are going to have children young it's better to be in a stable relationship?? Plus, Bella wasn't the one who wanted to wait to have sex, she compromised with Edward and they reached an agreement: marriage for the one human experience Bella didn't want to miss.
I really don't think SM is spreading the word of teenage pregnancy or that sex before marriage is evil or anything like that. In my mind she explained very clearly why things happened as they did in the novel.

Posted on 30 Sep 2008 18:46:07 BDT
Hey that's a v.good review!!

Posted on 16 Oct 2008 14:51:35 BDT
Hi, I enjoyed your review. I haven't read BD yet and you've made me want to read it even more! :)
I just ordered it and I can't wait to read it! I loved the previous three books. I don't understand why the books have gotten bad reviews either. They're not half as bad as some people have made them out to be. But each to their own I guess.

Also, I don't think Stephenie Meyer deserves the negative comments some people have given her books. It reminds me of when, Anne Rice was given a lot of nasty negative comments towards her vampire chronicles. Personally I think they're both great authors.

Posted on 4 Jan 2009 11:41:45 GMT
Anonymous says:
Lucky for me I only found the series when only the last book had to be finished and once I got my hands on the first one I ran back for the other 2 within a few days. Having waited for the 4th book for a while I can only say that I immensely enjoyed them ALL! And I can only say that I agree with Elisabeth. I don't know what alle the fuss is about, I think the series where brilliant!

Posted on 4 Jan 2009 12:54:57 GMT
Elle says:
THANK YOU Elizabeth for not posting spoilers in your review, and also for marking it as free from spoilers - shame that many other people don't do the same. It IS possible to review books without mentioning vital plot details and I hope other reviewers will follow your example. Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,546 customer reviews)
 (1,121)