1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Godling Chronicles: The Sword of Truth (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
I've read some good debut fantasy recently and based on the interesting start to this book I was expecting a lot. Unfortunately it failed to live up to my expectations.

The characters are cliched archetypes and all fit into the old school hero or villain camp, there's no subtlety in any of them and there are definitely no interesting anti-heroes. I wondered if this was because the author was writing this for his son and maybe its actually aimed at a young audience.

What plot there is I found plodding and boring. The few bits of action that happen are quickly glossed over as if the author is embarrassed by them and wants to move back onto the slow boring dialogue that he seems to enjoy.

It also seems to need a good edit to help improve the writing. I'm not speaking of typos here, its more that the the writing is lumpen and stodgy, which I found hard to put up with. There's also silly things like you have a few characters walking into a room and starting a discussion then suddenly some other characters replying which just leaves you wondering where they came from.

The overall story also failed to interest me, it was basically just a side quest from some bad RPG computer game. That's not a slight on computer games, many good ones have excellent stories which this book doesn't even aspire to match.

Two final things. The love stories are truly awful and as I got further through the book I skipped those sections. The main characters progression also isn't handled at all well, he seems to progress absurdly quickly and in fits and starts which didn't work for me at all.

There's probably a lot more I could say but I don't know if its worth continuing so I'm going to give up here and say that its not a book I'd recommend.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]