5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, v1.02 posted at 4.2013, 5.2013, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Saxby TL2236 - T8 Anti CorrosiveTwin HF IP65 36W Fluorescent Commercial Surface Light
Saxby TL2236 dual 4ft fluorescent.

An extremely nice product.

I got it to add extra brightness. I already had two 4ft single fluorescents, vertically on a wall of my back room, just it seemed dull. This makes the brightness noticeably bright, just by replacing one of the singles with a double.

The fitting I received, Saxby TL2236, is rainproof, rated at IP65, and the fittings geared to that. Using it indoors I could ignore the mounting method supplied with this and drill holes in the base to match the unit that it was replacing. Very simple to do.

It being rainproof means that the ballast is fitted to the light tray rather than to the base. That makes screwing the wiring to the unit as something that the product instructions describe as calling for two people, though as the light tray is not heavy I managed okay with just two hands.

I usually prefer to keep the ballast separate to the light body, a question of noise. In this case that was not practical, but I found the unit to be silent as it stood, no noise reduction needed. From my perceptions' point of view, which is nothing like 100% true, this is the first fluorescent that I have come across, ever, that runs silently without having to modify the ballast position. So, the first units that I ever modified, the control room lighting of a sound studio that I worked in, silence the lights and I suddenly was able to notice noise and conversations and shouting from the ladies toilet next door. I did not work there for very much longer.

Bright, silent, neat, attractive. A few hours after installing the unit I am happy and amazed. I post this to celebrate.

I should add extra detail re why I purchased 4ft fluorescents.

I had always considered my original lights to be too dim, ever since I installed them circa 1997 or 98. I found that I could make do as is. Recently, one local source of 4ft tubes stopped stocking them and the other main source changed from white to soft white, which has a yellow tinge.

I started to consider changing the units to wall units based on dual 100 watt BC base energy saver equivalents, 23W B22 BC 1450 lumen bulbs, but most dual wall units I found were for the USA type ES base. I would have needed to swap from UK B22 BC to USA type ES. So, the bulbs are widely available in the UK. Worst, All the units I found were for the 60 watt equivalent, even the few B22 BC dual wall units were for the 11 watt energy savers. 600 lumen, lots of bulbs needed.

After a lot of looking I shelved the idea of moving to bulbs and looked to update one of the vertical 4ft units with a glossy looking dual 4ft.

After I had the new unit up and running it was not long before I was wanting to update the rest of my wall fluorescents. I have now purchased two more and hope to purchase another two of these later in the year. I will probably order dual units and run them with just one stick.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]