2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and irritating!, 24 May 2009
This review is from: LG KU990i Black prepay unlocked mobile phone (Electronics)
I have had my LG Viewty for a year now and unfortunately I bought it on a contract that I can't afford to get out of, or upgrade, so I've been more or less stuck with this phone for all this time.

In short: this is the worst phone that I have ever owned. Sure, it has lots of great gadgets (if you like pointless gadgets, you will probably disagree with me on this review), it looks like an iPhone, it has some cool features. However, on a day to day usability basis I find it very irritating for the following reasons:

1. The touch screen is not easy to use. Maybe I just have fat fingers or something but texting is tricky. I used to be a very fast texter but now it takes me twice as long as it used to on my old trusty Nokia (RIP)! Also, scrolling through stuff is difficult, it's not smooth and quite clunky.

2. The camera isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. It's not good at all in low light. I largely opted for this phone because I heard that the camera was amazing so I wouldn't need to take a phone AND a camera out with me when I go places, but that's not true at all! I now carry around a phone AND a camera because I wouldn't trust my phone to take a good picture. Maybe I'm just fussy but I don't want blurry dark photos.

3. This phone has broken on me... TWICE. Once the earpiece stopped working and I couldn't hear what the other person was saying, and once it decided just to switch off and wouldn't turn back on again. I had to send it back twice to Orange to have it replaced, and the operator told me that the second time (when it stopped working full stop) was probably because it 'got overheated being in my bag in the sun'. So there you go, reason 4...

4. This phone breaks if you leave it in the sun, according to the Orange operator.

5. It doesn't give you much warning about when it's going to run out of battery. It seems to go from having 2 bars of battery to saying it's completely out of battery and beeping angrily at you.

6. It doesn't really come with any games, just a demo that you have to pay for to use properly. You probably can get some quite good ones if you're willing to pay but they're difficult to play anyway because of the tricky touch-screen. You'd be better off just getting games console.

7. It has very annoying button sounds, when you are navigating around the phone. It has quite a nice vibrating function for when you select things but this doesn't work if you put the phone on silent - like I normally do, because the sounds that the 'keys' make when you're texting etc is really irritating. I can only describe them as 'plop' sounds!

It has a couple of redeeming features... it does hold it's charge for quite a while so (as long as it doesn't decide to break) you can normally trust it to last a few days, although be wary of Reason 5 as sometimes it will trick you into thinking it's going to last even longer when it won't. Also, admittedly, it does have some good tools, such as the option to view back your images full screen.

However, overall, I have been very disappointed in this phone. It has a few little extras that seem to make it 'stand out from the crowd' but the reality is that you will very rarely use these and the general usability of this phone is clunky, awkward and annoying. It is FAR from an iPhone alternative - a poor quality imitation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Sep 2010 03:39:40 BDT
you mentioned lg viewty gaming are hard to play? using the touch screen well if you go to www.mobile heart.com from your hand set then search for games then search for lg ku990 mobile games you can download them for free and i am sure you will find one that you will find easy to play at no cost i got tetriss and z ball

Posted on 27 Sep 2010 03:44:06 BDT
sounds LIKE you never managed to work out how to use its best of all points it is THE BEST MOBILE PHONE EVER MADE because???- NONE OF YOUR REVIEWS EVEN BOTTHER TO MENTION THAT IT can also be plugged into your pc and its able to transfer the internet from phone onto your pc, i screamed the house down when i finnally made that connectivity even had the phone for a full 2 years befor i managed to make it work as a modem phone I FELT SO STUPID because for 2 years i paid for broad band at home when all along i had a Modem built in my mobile and never knew untill i sat down with the booklit that came in the box with the cd when i bought my phone, I was in shock then i called my land line internet service provider to disconnect and cancell my contract OF 4 YEARS and you dont need a dongle or sign up to any thing just plug into pc with the leeds that came in the box and as long as you have internet on the hand set your up and running now all I do is get a five pound internet top up that lasts a full month on the planet 3 network and now i never have to ever again buy broad band for my pc and never ever get bills love my KU990 to bits it has saved me lots of money in the long run on internet bills as i am the kind of person who is always at my pc and cant imagin life with out the internet at home and so far to date the only phone on sale that can match the KU990 is the I Phone in all capeabillities so if you need a good Phone with built in Modem then go for the LG VEIWTY KU990 or get the I PHONE AS ALL OTHER MOBILES DON'T HAVE A BUILT IN MODEM LIKE THESE ONES DO.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (5 customer reviews)

49.99