1.0 out of 5 stars Simply not true, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Secret of Quantum Living: Powerful Techniques for Rapid Healing (Paperback)
Bought this book from my local bookstore. Had very high hopes. Read the opening chapter with great openness of mind and eager anticipation. Here was a man writing literately and with confidence about how our attention could change our world. Maybe this really was true and everything I had learned in science was, whilst true, untimately limited in its perspective.

So I read his first exersise - the one that is there to convince you and demonstrate - nay, prove - the amazing power of awareness. It is very simple. Find whichever of your two middle fingers is shortest using your wrist crease as a exact guide. Then focus your awareness on the thought:''this middle finger will grow longer''. Do so for a whole minute. No need to tell the finger to grow longer. Just to lend it your wholly un-blinking awareness.

I did it. I turned off all the noise in the room. I believed it with all my mind. I focused my attention. I didn't let me thoughts stray. And, for good measure, I did for more than the prescribed one minute.

I was so immersed in the belief, that I truly expected my (left) middle finger to have grown longer. And as Dr Kinslow says, ''now re-measure using the wrist crease as your accurate guide. And Hey Presto! The finger is now longer. Thus you have demonstrated the core principal of the power of awareness.''

The more rational among you already know what happened. My left middle finger was not any different than a few minutes before. It had not grown one half or one half of a millimeter. I felt the familiar disappointment I have long experienced when confronted with New Age proofs. I would really love for them to be true. To be validating. Yet none, so far, has ever been. Not remotely.

This book is more merry nonsense from the New Age stable of self-delusion. In this case I was the fool for purchasing the book. So more fool me. I have thrown it away. And vow not to buy another bit of flim-flam for at least a year or two, or until the hope/longing for something substantial in the way of ''spirituality'' over-comes me again.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]