5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money. Performance plus peace of mind warranty., 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Verbatim 98243 MediaShare Wireless (Personal Computers)
I had a few problems initially. These were a combination of my misunderstanding how to set it up and because the instructions are so poor that they led to my misunderstqanding.

I have now been using it for about a month and, for the price, think that his is actually pretty good value for money. Using it with my iPad it is of limited use. Streaming video or music or browsing photos it is fine and I was impressed by it. One test involved streaming three different videos, one to my iPad, one to my Moto G android phone and one to a Nexus 7 tablet. Faultless. I then tried streaming the same video to all three devices, again faultless. Transferring photos was ok on all devices but if I transferred a video to the iPad I can only watch it via MediaShare. This is more to do with IOS than anything else. The device sets up some directories on the target devices. Not a problem on Android as you can browse to them and either view the files or move them to else where such as a video directory. Not so on Apple.

Using it as an Internet Bridge was eventually very successful. The WiFi in our kitchen is very weak, almost impossible to use unless you stand in the doorway, still weak but just about useable. I can now start up the mediashare with internet bridge enabled, place it in the breakfast room and get as good a signal as if I was in the living room next to the router.

The apps for both IOS and Android are very flaky. After repeated attempts to turn the Internet Bridge via the apps I had to resort to using a browser and the URL 10.10.10.254 to enable this. Reason the popup box in the apps repeatedly closed as I was trying to set the various settings. This was on both IOS and Android. I at one stage had mad etwenty attempts to use the app Settings from the menu and not one attempt was succesful.

So pretty good value for money. More or less does what it says on the box. Dreadful instructions and very poor software.

*******
Update 12/05/2015

I bought this on the 26th December 2013. It has worked very well, I am very pleased with it as a good bit of kit, until last week when it suddenly stopped reading SD cards. The USB still works but I rarely use USB as they stick out so much that it is not as portable as with an SD card which is completely inserted into the Mediashare. It just slips into a pocket. I have emailed Verbatim as it is still within the two year warranty. I shall report back on here any result.

*******
Update 30/05/2015

A new Verbatim Mediashare was delivered today, free of charge including all shipping costs. Excellent customer service. In particular one person was very good and led me through possible fixes until finally he admitted that it needed a full inspection. A return label was supplied.

I cannot fault the warranty arrangements and the attention to me as a customer. Well done!.

Additionally the new device was put to a fairly stern test almost immediately. Six of the family had a week in a cottage on the Northumbrland/Cumbria border. The cottage had two foot thick walls (at least) and the router was in the dining room with two of these walls between that and the lounge. The WiFi was very weak in the lounge. The Mediashare was quickly set up as an access point and at one point there was two people streaming video from an SD card and three others surfing the internet with absolutely no problem.. Fantastic performance.

I have changed my rating to a five star because of all of the above.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]