5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: HTC One Max UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver (16GB) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is whole heartedly the best phone I have ever owned. With no shadow of a doubt. My first impressions when this device was announced is that it was FAR too big, I’m not really a “phablet” fan, however owning this device has changed my mind in a big way. There’s a few little issues I’ve had with it, but nothing too significant. I’ll go in to detail about that later on however.
Where to start?! The size would be a good starting point. Do not let the size put you off purchasing this phone. The size was my biggest concern about this device (I thought my HTC One X+ was a big phone before owning this device!). I was worried I’d look silly with it, that I’d be unable to keep it in my pocket or it’d take up too much room in my bag. All silly things to worry about. Yes, the phone is big, with its massive 5.9” LCD3 touchscreen, but you WILL fall in love with the size after a while, and all other phones seem tiny and unusable after a while. The bigger screen is amazing. The colour and clarity on this device is better than my recently purchased laptop! It’s on par with an iPad retina display. At first it was difficult to handle the large screen, and I found myself stretching more to use it, but you soon get used to it and will learn to love it. When playing games on this phone, I found not only the excellent CPU speed, but the bigger screen makes for a better gaming experience.
Next we have the battery, there’s nothing I can fault about this battery, other than the fact you cannot remove it. A standard charge will last me on average 2/2.5 days depending on how much I use the phone. I always leave powersaver on and make sure mobile data is off when I don’t need it, and the screen brightness turned to auto. The battery is just phenomenal. Compared to all other smartphones I’ve used, I’ve no worry of this device dying on me when I need it most.
This handset comes with a microSD slot for memory upgrade (it can take up to 64gb), which I definitely would recommend you purchase a good sized microSD card to go with. I tried using just the stock 16gb memory, however, I couldn’t get anywhere near as much on the phone as I did on my HTC One X+. I now have a 16gb SD card in as well as the stock memory.
The camera has to be one of my favourite parts of this phone. I love taking photos with my phone. After a recent move to the Scottish Highlands, the camera on this phone has been whipped out at every given opportunity to take photos of the stunning scenery surrounding me! I thought the camera would be lower quality than what I was used to with the HTC One X+, however the 4 megapixel with Ultrapixel technology is just amazing. I personally feel the camera on my HTC One max is superior to the 8mp camera on the One X+. There’s loads of fantastic options for image adjustment, as well as Zoe. Zoe isn’t something I’ve used as much, but definitely a good feature to have. The clarity and colours the camera picks up is just amazing. Again, no complaints there.
There’s just so many cool tricks and features that come with this phone. Not only does the great screen allow for easier photoshopping/adjustments via 3rd party apps, but the phone also comes with a few neat little apps also, HTC Scribble and HTC TV. The TV app doesn’t work with our Sky box, however it works perfectly as a remote control for our television. Scribble is a good little app also. It recognises your handwriting and converts it to notes for you, still in your own handwriting.
The fingerprint scanner is one thing that I have not got along with. I found it to be unreliable, and within the first few days of having it, got myself locked out of the phone because it wouldn’t recognise my fingerprint! There is the option of putting in a password, but me being silly, I forgot what the password was! Luckily I remembered and managed to unlock with no issues, but a word of warning would be to remember what the password is as you will need it if the scanner fails 3 times! I turned the fingerprint scanner off in the end, we just don’t get along!
Another feature I’m not too keen on is BlinkFeed. Thankfully the HTC One max has the option to turn it off however. I prefer my homescreen with my customisable wallpapers, and my apps! I did find BlinkFeed more reliable on this device though than the upgrade for the HTC One X+.
This phone comes with a hardcase for your device in the box. This is definitely a must until you get another protective cover, and I would highly recommend you do get one, mainly because the size of it, it can fall out of pockets a little easier. The case that comes with it is certainly a good temporary cover, however it’s not very good for long term use. The corners on mine have cracked and the case is slowly falling to bits. The in-earphones that come with the device are great quality also. I do still prefer my Dre Beats though. BoomSound is another good feature of this phone. The sound quality that comes with it is just amazing, you can hear the bass a lot clearer, and it doesn’t sound as tinny as a normal set of phone speakers would.
This phone is definitely worth every penny. I’ve fallen in love with it and will not be parting with it for a very long time. I would like to thank HTC for giving me the phone to test out. It was a massive privilege and lots of fun!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]