2.0 out of 5 stars Too Slow, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [DVD] (DVD)
I got into Torchwood very late. Having see a couple of episodes from series 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them, I went and bought the boxed set of series 1, 2 and 3. Despite having had huge viewing figures for Children Of Earth, I far preferred the first two series with their self contained episodes and because of that I was a little less excited by Children of Earth. A bit of a downhill dip, but I could see that others might not think so. Fair play. Then, along comes Miracle Day.

Not quite a complete disaster, but close to it. I saw the episode of Torchwood Confidential where RTD said "We had to blow up the Torchwood hub" Really Russell? Did you REALLY??? So let's examine that idea shall we? You decided it was a good idea to take the hub of a story, a special place where we were told there was a rift in time and space, creating all kinds of amazing incidents, then blow it to bits. You took a story about defending the earth from aliens, then didn't put an alien in the entire series? What a load of tosh! Talk about overstepping the "We need a new formula line" Has it not ocurred to those involved in production that people LIKE the formula, that's why we watch! This is a case of taking your favorite formula for raspberry ripple ice cream and making it with a new formula where you think it's cute to take all the rasberries out and introduce a formula where you substitute it for Beef and Mashed Potatoe. Sure, I like beef & mash, but IT THOUGHT I WAS BUYING RASPBERRY RIPPLE!!!

Slow, over padded (The story could have EASILY been told in five episodes, not ten), entirely pointless "sex scenes" which didn't enhance the plot an inch, Poorly acted by the Americans, hammed up in far too many scenes. Have I gone on enough?

I think I watched this series because I wanted it to be as good as 1 and 2. I wanted it to take me back to the things that I had come to enjoy in the first two series. But just like many broken relationships, if Children of Earth was like realising that you and your partner really didn't have much in common any more and deciding taking a break, then Miracle Day was getting back together because you remembered the good times, only to discover that the break up was really the best thing you could have done.

Thanks for the memories RTD. It's not you, it's me. .......Nope... actually, it's most certainly YOU.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Sep 2011 13:35:45 BDT
S. Taylor says:
Not only a hilarious review, but very accurate! I have to say, Children of Earth was my own personal favourite, but I agree that there was too much potato and not enough raspberry, and mealtimes shouldn't ever be ten hours long. Not for such small potatoes.

Posted on 18 Dec 2011 13:43:02 GMT
Colin Hayes says:
Very good review that points out the many shortcomings of Miracle Day, a series that had the potential to be so much better than it was.

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 13:22:57 BDT
Excellent review. You said everything and you said it a lot more politely that I would have done!
I used to love Torchwood. It was a superb idea and delivered well with the exception of RTD's "special agenda" which he seems to want to ram down everyone's throats as much as possible. Miracle Day was rubbish. Not a bad concept but overblown and very poorly delivered. I hope it won't be back.

Posted on 28 Jan 2013 20:08:15 GMT
i agree about the sex scenes being pointless. i,m no homophobe, but as you say, they added nothing to the plot.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (177 customer reviews)

£29.99 £11.79