1.0 out of 5 stars Horrified by the level of deceit, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Paid For: My Journey Through Drugs and Prostitution: One Brave Woman's Account of the Violence that is Prostitution (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book in the kindle pre release for one very simple reason.

The author claims she spent the years between '91 and '93 standing about 15 yards across the road from me to work. I have met Moran at a conference and already knew this to be untrue, but I wanted to see if there were any verifiable facts at all in the book.

There were none...not one single mention of a familiar person or event. Not only did the author not work where she claimed she did, she apparently has no idea at all about the real people who did. She does not even know the material facts of sex work, at that time, itself.

This book is simple fraud and beyond that incredibly insulting and hurtful to the real people, not just sex workers, and clients, but Gardaí and residents who, among other things, were neither stupid, nor indifferent enough to walk on by while a drug addled child (sic) sold sex in front of them.

I should have posted this review right away, but I was scared of identifying myself and assumed Amazon would not let the review appear anyway, however I have now sworn out an affidavit in my own name which is online here:
[...]

I am happy to make notarised hard copy available to Amazon at any time upon request.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 May 2014 23:11:11 BDT
Bunny lover says:
I was just going to buy this after watching the Rupert Everett programme but i won't bother now. :(

Posted on 30 May 2014 11:45:13 BDT
Bernie Breen says:
Why do you say the book is not a true story,you sound very sure,i was going to buy it but i dont like deceit, why could it not have been written as fiction if that is what it is,i'm confused now,why has the author not replied to your post,it's all seem's ,very strange ??

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2014 01:30:38 BDT
Avid Reader says:
I am absolutely 100% certain it is not a true story because I was there and I know Rachel Moran was not. , if I suddenly took a notion to write a book about somewhere I had never been, that you had known well for years...you would catch me out every second paragraph. It would "all" be wrong and "off" and you would spot it right away.

The sex workers and clients in Dublin were a very small world, we all knew each other well, and nothing in the book is even close to true, not one familiar person or event.

She simply was not there, and it was not like that.

She couldn't have written it as a novel because it doesn't really have a story, just her constant, intellectually pretentious opinions that bear no relation to reality.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2014 21:39:29 BDT
Bunny lover says:
How on earth could she make a television programme and write a book if it's all untrue? I have not bought the book after reading this. I hate deceit too. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2014 15:04:36 BDT
Avid Reader says:
I am not going to pretend I was born or left school knowing this level of deceit could happen, I wasn't, I have been utterly staggered by it, particularly by the number of people in so-called "authority" who have let it go without even the most basic checks. There are so many points at which even official records would debunk most of it (I won't go into them because I don't want to help anyone "paper over the cracks").

For those of us who really were there it is deeply hurtful stuff, as if she has hijacked our lives and our stories and distorted them completely...it isn't strictly identity theft, but I am pretty sure I know what identity theft must feel like because of it. :o(

Posted on 23 Jul 2014 08:46:51 BDT
Tori says:
I find this comment disconcerting. I have no idea whether Rachel Moran did or did not work in the exact spot she claims to; however as a former sex worker myself I can say this - the emotional honesty of her account is breath taking. And I would say she knows the 'material facts of sex work' very well. Anyone with similar experiences reading this is going to recognise the authenticity of the account. So regardless of whether exact places or names are correct, there is no 'fraud'. The majority of memoir writers, particularly when dealing with a certain subject, will fudge dates, names or places to protect others as well as themselves. I suspect this is a deliberate attempt to discredit Moran, and given that a similar comment has been the crux of a recent blog post, it even seems like some kind of personal vendetta. Amazon is not the place for this, and it saddens me. Also, speaking from experience, police and residents do 'walk on by' all the time, every day. As a former sex worker, there is nothing in Moran's account that is 'hurtful or insulting' though it may be a trigger for one's own uncomfortable memories. And worrying about 'clients' (punters) being insulted? Really? Hmmm...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014 13:56:53 BDT
Bunny lover says:
Tori, if Avid reader was present at the time why would she come forward and say something in the first place, i mean what has she to gain by 'discrediting' Ms Moran? :(

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2014 15:13:37 BDT
Tori,
Get this very, very clear, I do not know, (and do not wish to know) Rachel Moran. The fact that she is lying about a time in *my* life and people *I* knew, at all is the only basis for any personal attitude I have towards her. It is very close to identity theft but with a broader scope, whole tracts of my everyday reality stolen and distorted. If I had never experienced it I would not believe how traumatic, offensive and hurtful that really is, even when she dialled it back for publication after becoming aware that there are witnesses willing and ready to challenge.

Moran did not "fudge" the details relevant to me, she spelled them out to the square foot, but even if she had "fudged" details, sex work in Dublin and Ireland was, and remains a very small world akin to the regular clientele of a country pub. As a result, in contrast to other cities and countries I have worked in, people most definitely do *not* always "walk on by" - (even if you are not clueless enough to pretend you started working right outside a house that was occupied by people know to me who would definitely have intervened!).

The only way she could have worked without being known to me by sight is to have worked outside of Dublin entirely.

I am not going to specify any of the howlers she has made in the book, and since about the simple, material facts (literally, the mechanics - to avoid confusion) of sex work...but if you have not spotted them I can only wonder where on earth you were working, and how?

You cannot be "emotionally honest" about something you have never done. If you feel that what she says reflects your personal feelings in some way then it does...but it does not reflect my personal feelings, or the personal feelings of any real sex worker I have ever known.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›