5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone - great battery life and super fast GPS, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer) (Unlocked Phone)
I'm not the average phone user. I use mine for occassional texting, as a navigation device while hiking/biking and as a personal wifi hotspot for my laptop when on holiday.

For texting the keyboard is great - easy to hit the right keys unlike my Sony Ray phone where I was forever making mistakes.

For hiking/biking I have the Viewranger app installed and a number of OS maps. The speed at which the GPS works is out of this world. With my Sony Ray it took anything up to 10 minutes for it to find my location from cold. With the Razr Maxx its found me in under a minute! The screen is good outdoors for seeing the maps - though not quite as bright as the Sony Ray screen. Also its not as high res as the Sony Ray but still perfectly good. Being splash proof is also an advantage when using it as a mapping device - means I don't need to panic in a light shower. Even so I'd limit water on it - its still only spash proof - not waterproof.

Works well as a wifi hotspot - I can connect the laptop and iPad to it without any issues or dropped connections.

Where it really shines is battery life. Over the last 2 days I've used it for a little web browsing, an hour on GPS mapping and as a wifi hotspot for an hour. And its still got 70% battery left after 2 days! After 4 days of regular use it dropped to 15% and warning signs came up. With my old phone I'd have been lucky to make a day and a half of such use.

With my previous smartphones I've always switched off battery draining features like GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth - but with the Razr Maxx I can leave them on without worrying.

My phone still currently has Android Gingerbread on it. But to be honest this works fine for me. It runs quickly - battery lasts for ages - wifi hotspot works. In fact it just works fine. Android 4 is supposed to be out soon for this phone but not sure I'll bother updating as Gingerbread version of Android OS works ok for me.

*** Update Sept 2012 ***

I've had this phone over 3 weeks and just as happy now as when I bought it. A really great phone.

Updated to Android 4 ( Ice Cream Sandwich ). On the whole this went fine with no problems - I didn't need to do a factory reset - just updating it and using it as normal worked fine.

Battery life just as good under Android 4 as the previous version. Interface slightly nicer looking and just as fast as before.

The only issue I had was tethering. Since updating to Android 4 I have problems with tethering to my laptop via WiFi Hotspot. It connects ok - though slowly - but internet runs very, very slow. My iPad tethers no problems. I've since switched to USB tethering which works fine with the laptop. Whether the tethering issue is with the laptop or Android 4 I'm not sure.

[Add comment]