4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not quite perfect....not yet, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: BaByliss for Men Super Stubble (Personal Care)
Note: this is not a razor or shaver. It is a stubble trimmer. If you want a shaver - buy a shaver.

I have previously owned the 7850, and 7855 models. BaByliss For Men 7855U I-Trim Stubble+ Trimmer ; Babyliss For Men 7850U I-Trim Stubble Trimmer.

Since mid-2010 I have been using the BaByliss For Men 7890U i-stubble Trimmer. I really liked the 7890U but mine has led quite a hard life and finally I dropped it on a hard bathroom floor, and it works still but makes very strange noises. Over the llast 3-4 months it was not holding charge for very long and I was needing to recharge every 4 or 5 days even if not used.

I went online and saw that there are a couple of newer models, and the 7898U is now the top of the line. I saw that this is the only model that can be rinsed under the tap and so I decided to buy it.
Incidentally, I see a VERY wide range of prices here on Amazon, around 90 is probably about the right range - although I actually bought mine from another online retailer as they had a special "online promotion" that saved me £29 off the usual price, and I still received their excellent Advantage loyalty points.

Anyway, I have had this for about 3 weeks now and used it 9 or 10 times.

I have only used it on the 0.4mm (minimum) setting on my face and 4.0mm on my sideburns. I like it. It is ergonomically comfortable to hold and to use. It cuts cleanly and evenly. It is not silent, but not unduly noisy.

Like the 7890U, I find the comb/blade arrangement is very comfortable and easy to use (and easy to clean). It pivots and seems to follow the contours of my face well. It has been modified very slightly, although it is not obvious to look at - but the improved performance shows.

With the previous 7890U I found it would not trim the area just below my nose right up to my nose, and I had to flip open the comb/guard and use the trimmer directly, for the stubble 2-3 mm below my nose.

With the new model I have no problem, it trims my top lip perfectly, right up to where my nose joins my face, using the guard.
I find it trims the stubble evenly and does not miss any individual hairs - I cant actually think how it could do so.

If you usually trim on a specific setting and not the minimum, this trimmer starts up at the last used setting. The previous models all defaulted to the minimum setting when first switched on. This would be a nice touch for some people.

It comes with a small charging stand - there is no actual power socket on the trimmer, it charges via 2 small metal contacts on the sides.

If you need to use it, you cannot plug in power and use it directly connected to the mains - that was also one of my dissatisfactions with the older 7890U. However, this does have a 5 minute "quick-charge" that apparently gives enough charge for one complete trim. I have not tested this.

A normal charge takes 90 minutes for a full charge that lasts 60mins. The remaining charge, in minutes, is shown on a large numerical display on the front. I have charged it fully, removed from the stand, and 3 days later it still shows a full charge.

The particular things I like:

- unit is comfortable to hold and easy to use to get a good performance
- good trimming performance, good results
- LI-Ion battery that holds charge for a long time
- can rinse blades under the tap (it recommends to oil them again afterwards)
- simple but effective "button lock" feature to stop it getting switched on while in your wash-bag eg while travelling
- fast charging
- it looks sleek and stylish

I really like it. However, I do not think it is perfect (hence only 4 stars):

- there is no travel case. I travel a lot with my job, and I would like a substantial but soft case/cover to protect it when it is in my bag, and also carry/store the cleaning brush and oil with it.
- there is no power socket on the 7898U to allow me to plug the charger directly into the iStubble. So when travelling, in addition to the charger I need to carry the charging stand.
- If the charger could plug into the 7898U I would like to be able to use it directly from the mains, without waiting for even the 5 minute charge time.

(By comparison, my Panasonic shaver has a heavy-gauge but soft faux-leather case inside which I carry the shaver and cleaning brushes. It can be rinsed under the tap, it charges via small contacts also in a charging and cleaning station - but there is also a socket near the base of the shaver - well away from where I might rinse it- into which I can connect the charger cable directly. So when travelling I do not need to carry the charging and cleaning station, only the mains charger/adapter)

As a stubble trimmer, I cannot fault this. The Babyliss is still the market leader as far as I am concerned. But make it just a tiny bit more travel friendly and it would be perfect.

Update 15 Dec. 2013: been using this for a couple of months now - excellent performance, long battery life and a really even trim of my stubble- and no nicking of the skin. BaByliss's best product yet. I am very pleased with it.

Update 15 Feb 2015: Still going strong, still happy with it. I also use it for trimming body hair and under my arms.

[Add comment]