5.0 out of 5 stars A superb device for waking up to, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock ACTIVE 250 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Extra Audio Options (Personal Care)
I find it incredibly strange at some of the comments on this review to be honest but I'll clarify later.

Firstly, this is an excellent device to wake up to. There are multiple modes you can select from and the light is extremely bright and completely silent (some Phillips devices have a low hum from what I hear).

Now then, we all know it is expensive. The build quality, in my opinion, is what I would expect for this price due to the features it has. It is indeed plastic but I don't feel that it is "cheap" as such. The unit is secure and I feel the buttons are fit for purpose. To be honest, most of the reviews give a good indication of exactly what it can do so I'm not going to bother too much talking about the sunrise/sunset features. In short, you can amend the times and they work an absolute treat.

What I am going to talk about is some of the other concerns I've read in the other reviews.

The LCD clock does indeed dim. I've no idea why people are covering up the front screen saying it's too bright. If you haven't set the alarm, the LCD screen will stay on all night. HOWEVER, it quite clearly states in the manual that if you hold in the "-" and "+" keys at the same time, it will go into sunset mode and then reduce the front panel to it's dimmest setting. Once it's in sunset mode, just use the "-" key if you don't want to wait the set time and switch the bulb off so the panel reduces. Problem solved!

The clock also has a feature that if you're using it as a lamp, it will automatically switch off after 90 minutes. This is quite self explanatory and you can instantly activate it again by holding the "+" key.

The device is NOT complicated. All the actions are carried out by the use of 3 main keys. When I got the clock, I went through the manual and tested all the functions on the clock as directed. I did this twice and I now know how to correctly use it. I am not super intelligent, just make an effort.

As for the sounds, I think they are fine. The white noise is actually quite pleasant and the volume can be very high if need be. The birds are fairly standard and the waves quite nice (they are quite short loops but you're meant to be getting out of bed anyway..) As for the complaints about the radio not being DAB..... It doesn't state that it is! Also, I don't believe a similar priced model has this feature (this is also the same for the person saying you can't add your own sounds - it doesn't state you have that option).

I do have one concern though. My clock was losing time on the first night as some others have said. This is now fine a few days later so I'm linking it to initial setup issues.

For those in two minds: Buy this clock! The other reviews state that it's far better than the Phillips models and these are coming from people who own both! Another major plus point is that you can change the bulb and also get a 2 year warranty. This is an incredible device and yes, it has some flaws but a lot of these so called "flaws" are from people not doing their homework!

Other settings that I'll add is the ability to put on a security mode. I believe this automatically activates the light at random periods between 4pm and 11pm incase nobody is in the home. Also, another thing I haven't used is the ability to fade out sounds with the sunset. For example, you could have a sunset for 30 minutes when you're going to bed. What you can do is set it so you're listening to the radio (or another included sound if you wish) and also letting the sunset complete over that period. The clever bit is that it will automatically reduce the volume as the light density decreases and will eventually switch off the radio when the light goes out. I've personally not used this but I can see how it would benefit others.

If you want a wake up clock in this price range, this is quite simply the one to buy. This is my first one but as you can imagine, I have done a lot of research before purchasing it. Don't let the negative reviews put you off as a lot of these are user error or looking for features that aren't there to begin with.

I'll be keeping an eye on the issue of losing time and update if it happens again.

Just add a comment if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Nov 2012 06:06:41 GMT
B. Ozcan says:
I do like the way you pointed out how easy to operate etc but I cant help thinking that you work for the Lumie !

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 10:47:58 GMT
Stu says:
Haha, I can assure you I don't. It just annoys me to see people slating a product when they have no justification. The comments were putting me off buying it but I took the chance and I'm glad I did in the end.

While I'm here, I've also not had any issue of it losing time. Lumie are a massive company who make lots of money, I don't think they need staff members to go on and defend their products on amazon lol...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2013 14:23:18 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2013 14:41:17 BDT
Stu says:
That's fine. As long as other people aren't put off with what I've said as its completely accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 14:59:13 GMT
Hi,

I am looking to buy one of these for my husband -what are the main differences between the 250 and the 30? Obviously there are more time settings (for the sunrise to take 15-90 mins rather than the 30) and noise options, but is there still an issue with replacing the bulb and losing time on the cheaper one?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 15:12:01 GMT
Hi Rachel,

I find that I still need to correct the time every few weeks so if you can live with that, its a very good clock. I've still not had to replace the bulb. Still though, we shouldn't need to be correcting the time with it.....

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 15:25:04 GMT
rachel mason says:
Hmm, thanks. I'm thinking I might invest in the more expensive one, although I have found the Bodyclock GO 75 on the Lumie website, which is between the two on price - do you know anything about it? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 15:34:36 GMT
Stu says:
Sorry Rachel but I'm not familiar with that model. This is still a great clock and well worth the money. Not everyone has the time Issue and its other functions are excellent for the price. I also believe lumie will replace it if you're affected. We use two phones with alarms too so don't notice much. I'd probably drop a star with my review but the clock is still amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2014 15:55:05 GMT
rachel mason says:
Cool thanks for all your help!

Posted on 16 Apr 2014 07:37:32 BDT
C. Tripp says:
Thank you! The bright clock display at night has been driving me mad. I have found the instructions complicated, but I'm glad to have found a solution to the one thing that really irked me. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›