2.0 out of 5 stars Enchantment as common sense, 22 April 2011
This review is from: Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds and Actions (Paperback)
What I know of Guy Kawasaki is that usually he writes interesting and inspiring stuff in his books and on his blogs. This is, however, not true for 'Enchantment'.

The book is chock-full of common sense advices, nicely categorized in twelve chapters. In the first chapter Guy describes what enchantment is, according to him, and in the chapters that follow he tries to tell the reader how he or she can become an enchanting person as well. In doing so he gives some tips on personal branding as well. There is nothing wrong with that: it would be awesome when there were more enchanting people in this world. The problem is that the methods Guy proposes are methods that change about everything of a person, except his or her heart. His advice is quite superficial, most of it is common sense (in Dutch we have a saying that goes like 'psychologie van de koude grond', which can be roughly translated as 'lay-man psychology') and the other parts of his advices are copied from the books of other authors (which he generously lists at the end of his book).
To implement Guy's advice, the reader only needs to change his outside appearance. I believe that what a truly enchanting person needs is a loving heart. That is - although the subtitle of the book has the word 'heart' in it - not part of the book, though. That is truly a pity: the book would have been much better if that part of the subtitle would have been made true as well.

You might ask why I bought the book. The cover has a quote from Steve Wozniak saying that by reading this book, one can create a company as enchanting as Apple. I'm highly interested in organizational science and change management, and I hoped this book would show me some new insights. That, however, was not true.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Mar 2014 20:56:00 GMT
Dear Harm, thank you for writing your book review on Amazon.co.uk. I am considering buying the book ("Enchantment") and I usually read the reviews so I can judge better how useful the book can be for me and if it is indeed what I am looking for.
Since I graduated from university last summer and while I am applying for jobs I am trying to use my time wisely and work on my personal development. Currently I am reading the biography of Steve Jobs, and I also would like to read "Getting to yes" by Roger Fisher. I am also looking for a good book on public speaking skills, project management, lean management.
Why am I sharing all this? Well, I read some of your reviews and they seem well argumented and insightful so I was wondering if you could perhaps recommend some books which you have read and you found useful?
I would highly appreciate it.
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Tatyana K., Utrecht

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2014 20:35:23 GMT
Harm Hilvers says:
Hello Tatyana,

Thanks for the compliments about my reviews. :-) I like writing them as well. About your questions regarding some suggestions for book, here are some ideas:

- On personal development, I liked reading 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People' by Covey and 'Harthorend' by Harry van de Pol (in Dutch).
- On public speaking I read and highly enjoyed 'Confessions of a Public Speaker' by Berkun, which to me was the single most inspiring book on this subject (because of its practicality and truly useful stories).
- I haven't read much about project management or lean management (apart from the material I had to study for my bachelor's degree). One interesting work I did read that is related to this subject is 'The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business' by Christensen, one of the standard works on management of innovation.

I wish you all the best in finding a job!

Best, Harm

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2014 11:09:09 GMT
Hi Harm,
thank you very much for the suggestions.
I have the 7 habits on my reading list but the Confessions of a Public Speaker sound quite interesting! I think I will give it a try next!

if I can be of any help to you, let me know.

Regards,