4.0 out of 5 stars Hello Moto!, 16 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Motorola RAZRi UK Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Having used this phone for about a week I feel like I can throw in my 2p worth. I bought this from Expansys since Amazon did not have this phone in stock during launch. My impression so far has been very positive and I am not regretting being an early adopter (at least not yet) at all!

Positives:
- Sleek form factor and ease of use. You can easily use this one handed for most tasks even if you have average sized hands. I also like the geeky `industrial design' but that is a matter of personal taste. This phone exudes class when held in the hand or laid on a desk.
- Fast & Smooth operation thanks to being very lightly skinned by Motorola (good call on that one!). Ah, the joys of an almost pure Android experience! Scrolling between home pages, opening the app drawer, launching the dialler, phone book, text messaging, launching the camera etc is handled quickly and effortlessly. The circles widget is a very useful thing indeed and I also like the implementation of the lock screen.
- Apps work really well on the phone and I have not come across any I could not install from the 40+ I downloaded from the play store. Apps like Flipboard, Evernote, PlayerPro, Dropbox, Whatsapp, Pocket, Ocado, etc work flawlessly and demanding games (I tried Osmos HD, Dead Space & Dead Trigger) run without any hiccups. Multitasking is also handled with ease and running multiple apps in the background does not slow the phone down much.
- Web browsing with the Chrome browser is perhaps the best I have experienced on a smartphone so far with super fast page loads, text & graphics rendering, page scrolling and tab switching. Pinch zooming and tap-to-zoom is flawless and integration with the Chrome desktop browser is a joy! All my bookmarks are synced between my phone and laptop and I can also see what tabs I have open on my laptop. Brilliant.
- Battery Life is great. I charge my phone fully before going to bed and it easily lasts me 24 hours (if not longer) with higher than average use. With heavy to intense use I would say a full day's use (morning till night) is quite manageable. That is above average for a modern day smartphone.
- Music quality is comparable to its rivals. It won't impress audiophiles (but neither will any other smartphone) but it is acceptable for a mobile phone. The volume level is a little on the lower side compared to an iPhone but you will rarely feel the need to max out (about 70% volume level is plenty loud on this). I used this with my Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser IE6 earphones and the sound was pretty decent. So even though this does not have the crisp highs, well defined lows and balanced sound of my dedicated music player (Creative Zen Vision M) it is on par with modern smartphones.
- Video playback is brilliant even via the stock player. But be sure to download MX player and it's Codec pack for x86 CPUs to make the most of viewing videos on the phone. Videos load up instantaneously, seeking through them is super quick and all types of file formats and resolutions are handled with aplomb! The Youtube app works like a charm. And yes, both the MX player and the Youtube app hide the soft keys for full screen viewing while playing videos :)
- Emailing is quick and painless using both the stock email app or Gmail. Just enter your email ID and passowrd and you're set. I have not used exchange server so can't comment on that.
- Expandable memory. Can't believe I'm listing this as a plus but the recent (disturbing) trend of manufacturers leaving out this valuable feature probably has something to do with it ;) I've used it with my 32 gig card with no issues.
- LED indicator! Now why doesn't every phone have one?? So useful, especially if you make the most of it by using an app like Light Flow LED Control and have different colours for different events (Calls, Texts, Facebook, etc).
- GPS lock is fast! It even gives me a lock indoors (albeit taking more time in doing so). Plus Google Maps loads really quickly and you can now even download a certain area of the map for offline use. I can see this being a very useful navigation device.
- Has NFC so is future proof (apart from not having LTE capability as mentioned in the negatives below).
- Finally, this is really good at being a telephone in case you ever feel like using it as such ;) Call quality is excellent, it keeps good signal strength and connects calls in an instant (almost caught me off guard a couple of times by how quickly it did that!). Even with the poor O2 network (I am on giffgaff) it has not given me any problems so far.

Negatives:
- While the screen is good when it comes to brightness and colour reproduction the low resolution (and PenTile pixel arrangement) becomes apparent while reading text on the device as you can notice the jagged edges every so often. Also, my phone's screen (at least) has a yellowy tinge to its whites especially when compared side by side to an LCD display (EDIT: seems like this differs from model to model so please make sure to check yours as soon as you get it). None of these things matter while viewing pictures & videos or playing games and in normal use though. I think I am blessed (cursed?) with particularly sharp eyesight!
- Despite what I said about how breezy the phone is there is a judder when you zoom in from the overview mode to a particular home screen (some say it is due to the circles widget but this is not the case) and a slight lag when swiping away open apps from the task manager. Again, nothing major but does take away some of the gleam. Hopefully the Jelly Bean upgrade and `Project Butter' should fix these wrinkles!
- I am not a fan of the positioning of the on/off toggles for GPS, Wi Fi, Bluetooth, etc to the left of the main home screen (much prefer them being in the status bar as with TouchWiz). Also, why can't I have my main home screen in the middle? (EDIT: both of these issues can be fixed by installing an app like Notification Toggles and then using a custom launcher like Nova. But I am reviewing this device in it's stock form)
- Camera is strictly average quality wise but acceptable for a camera phone. The rivals have it beat here! All depends on how important this is for you though. It is not really top on my list of priorities so I can live with it.
- Build quality: while the phone feels extremely solid overall there are a few niggling quality issues like gaps between the aluminium frame and the body of the phone (where dust particles will happily reside and call home), a slightly misaligned logo (the metal plate), and also a slight gap on one side of the Kevlar back plating. All of these are only tiny niggles which you will only notice if you really look for them!
- Is not LTE capable so it will not run at 4G speeds if that is something you are considering.

Neutral:
- The speaker is decently loud but very tinny so it's not all that great for listening to music but perfectly serviceable for use as a loudspeaker during calls.
- Motorola's track record for rolling out software upgrades to their past models is patchy at best so I don't know how things will be beyond the promised Jelly Bean upgrade. It is however owned by Google now so I'm trying to be optimistic about it :)

Bottom line:
Despite the above mentioned drawbacks this is one of the best devices in the mid-range price bracket and stacks up very well against the likes of the S2, One S, Galaxy Nexus and the Xperia S. It even matches the current flagship models (S3, One X, Optimus 4x) in many aspects and certainly punches above it's weight. The sleek & compact form factor, almost pure Android experience, good build quality and superb overall user experience helps this phone pip the competition in my opinion!

PS: Apologies for the long review, just felt like I needed to cover all aspects of the phone. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 32 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012 19:34:28 GMT
Hehe, I know what you mean. The sad thing is - there is no reason Motorola should have crippled this phone. With a better screen and camera, the razr I could have been the official iphone 5 killer. The Samsung S3 is a great phone, but only the RAZR I can compare to the iphone 5's form factor (which I love...the S3 is just too big). It is, however, let down only by its screen and camera.

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 20:18:23 GMT
S. Green says:
very comprehensive, clear and helpful review. thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2012 18:34:38 GMT
Appreciate the feedback, thank you! :)

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 11:21:46 GMT
HI there i was considering buying this remarcable phone or its big brother the razr HD on amazon uk o from its twin site in germany on the basis on the price difference the problem is that i live in italy so i would ask you if i could use this phone (as sold unlocked by amazon in either country) with an italian sim card! would i loose some of the functionalities? if so which? thank you ever so much for your help!
Motorola RAZRi UK Sim Free Smartphone

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 11:23:21 GMT
Motorola RAZRi UK Sim Free Smartphone

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2012 13:56:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2012 15:13:40 GMT
Ciao Francesco, yes you can use both the RAZRi and RAZR HD with your sim card in Italy as they are quad-band phones (frequencies used in Italy are GSM 900 & GSM 1800 which is pretty much the standard across Europe) and you will not lose any functionalities. Of course you will have to set up your data (3G or 2G) and MMS settings on your new phone and the network carrier should be able to help you out with that.

Both this and the RAZR HD are great phones and I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up buying! I would say however that considering the current price difference between the two (ca. 160 Eur) the RAZRi seems like the better bet. Take a demo of the phone in a shop first if you have the chance. You will be surprised by just how compact and good to handle this phone is!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2012 16:41:34 GMT
thank you so very much for answering so promptly and yes i am bent on buying the razr i having currently an iphone i am not a custom to large handsets finding them cumbersome and wiedly but i must say the razr hd has realy got me going with that hd screen and the mini hdmi port but all considered i think i'll opt for the razr i just love the idea of a inter processor with hyperthreading in a smartphone i'd like a direct comparison but motorola has all but vanished from italy and i suspect that getting hold a model will be tough especially in the case of the razr hd. Oh well hopefully i'll find both handsets somewhere here so i can choose.
ps: I don't know if you've ever had an iphone but if you have how does the screen compare to the razr i one? resolution is the same but ppi should be lower on account of it being bigger but how is the overall feel???

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 12:21:01 GMT
With regards to the screen, yes the RAZRi has a similar resolution as an iPhone 4s but suffers in sharpness due to its larger size (and thus lower PPI) and having a PenTile pixel arrangement. It therefore does lag behind in terms of sharpness (especially while reading text) compared to an iPhone. On the flip side you get the great colour reproduction, contrast levels, and infinite blacks of a Super AMOLED screen. So, great for watching videos & pictures, playing games, etc but not so good for browsing the internet, reading books, etc compared to an iPhone.

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 21:40:20 GMT
Michael says:
Hey, thank you so much for taking your time to write and publish this very informative review.

I was strongly considering to get this phone on a new contract. But I think I will give it a miss as music playback is one of the features I use most on my phones. In addition, I cannot see a reason to buy a phone with a 8-megapixel camera which is not performing as it should.

I know this phone has many plus points as well, but for me those above mentioned points are crucial. Phones4u are currently promoting the HTC One X+ on very good tariffs on all major networks.

Thank you once again - really enjoyed reading this.

Posted on 4 Apr 2013 07:42:13 BDT
cormie says:
Hi there,
I see in your review you say it doesn't support LTE/4G, but it says it does here: http://smartphones.techcrunch.com/compare/35-197-358-376/HTC-Desire-vs-Motorola-DROID-RAZR-MAXX-vs-Motorola-DROID-RAZR-M-vs-Motorola-RAZR-i can you confirm please?

Review Details