4.0 out of 5 stars We shall overcome, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Depressive illness-curse of the strong (Paperback)
Pull yourself together, just pick yourself up and get on with it, what could possibly be wrong with you, there are far worse off people in the world and they're not depressed !! I've had all these things said to me while I literally fought to stay alive. And the battle to survive is no exaggeration for depression is a life threatening illness. Depression is a lonely isolated place where the inhabitants just waste away with the life being sucked out of them by this most horrid of illnesses.

Tim Cantopher has a fine book here he purports that depression almost exclusively strikes a particular type of person and that is the morally strong, reliable, diligent but vulnerable to criticism and sensitive types. So what happens to this type of person when they become depressed ? They try to work their way out of it and continually beat themselves up for feeling the way they feel. How does Cantopher visualise a recovery ? Rest, take the time off your body needs to heal, you wouldn't try walking on a broken leg so treat your mind in a similar fashion. Depression takes away our energy so accept that we can't do the things we once could or attain the same high standards. Lets not be hard on ourselves, we need rest to aid our progress. And we will make progress however slow it may seem, gradually we will get back on track.

This is one of the better books I've read on depression, it's clear, concise and easily digested which is essential when concentration levels are down. The chapter on recovery is fantastic and the advice given throughout is excellent. The only negative for me was the author's remarks on anti-depressants, he appeared a little dogmatic and would give no time to those who have reservations about taking medication with such a wide ranging list of potential side affects. As someone with personal experience of this I found it a bitter pill to swallow ( pardon the pun ) However as a book on depression and how to tackle it this book is excellent. Add this to your arsenal of self-helpery and you will find it useful. But above all don't lose hope even when you're wearing the cloak of despair, choose light and life it's what I did and although life can be harsh it's worth living. Best of luck and take care.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 May 2009 07:45:44 BDT
DavyA says:
Excellent review - I too have been there & done that (& quite frankly never want to go back) Foxylock is right, you can get through it. Don't give up, even if the odds seem against you. If a book like this helps then get hold of it, if not try something else but never, give up sight of what's important i.e YOU. When you do get through it, it may well give you an altogether more positive outlook on life. I found books like this, the love of the family & going swimming, absolutley invaluable. But each to their own - the thing is to get there however you can. Just keep on keeping on.

Posted on 21 Aug 2010 23:40:09 BDT
Patrick Lye says:
Another wicked, well-written review for this book ^^ You lot are making a very convincing argument!

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's nice to read reviews that actually appear legit

Posted on 26 Nov 2010 23:30:26 GMT
Ajmarsh says:
Thank you for those positive words, it is difficult to know which direction to go for the best sometimes. X

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2010 23:00:36 GMT
Foxylock says:
Firstly, thank you all for the positive comments and votes ..... they help too!!!

But for anyone out there searching for answers and hoping the next book will bring a cure or maybe the next one or the one after that. I just want to say that, I've waded through more self help books than I could review in a lifetime, always hoping for that elusive eureka moment but I never found it. I found hope and inspiration in some, useful information in others but mostly I was disappointed and ultimately dejection would arrive at my door. I won't preach but I must say recovery is best aided by doing, follow your passion, do what brings you joy and more importantly keep going. Life may be tough but you are still living it, experiencing it, surely this counts for something and the joy will return. I fell to a place that was just about as low as one could go and be still of this earth, sometimes I even questioned was I actually alive at all. But now after some tough years and a lot of hard work I can finally say "I'm recovered" and smiling again appreciating and best of all living. Believe in yourself, be kind to yourself and choose life.

I hope your journey becomes brighter and the greyness fades to a distant memory, best of luck and take care.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2010 16:00:49 GMT
Annie CMC says:
Dear Foxylock. I felt compelled to post a comment after reading your review which seemed to strike a deep chord for me. So pleased to hear you are forging a positive path forward. For myself, I am some way long behind but having heard Tim Cantopher on Radio Two recently, it suddenly dawned on me why I am feeling the way I do. I have arrived at Amazon to buy the book but was pleasingly side tracked by your review - Thanks! You take care too!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2011 07:14:39 GMT
Mme Hmm says:
The only books on depression that have ever helped me were the ones written by Albert Ellis, the creator of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT). I cannot take medication because the side effects are horrible, so his books were a godsend for me. I hope others will look into his books if they find this one doesn't really work for them.

Posted on 21 Apr 2011 07:47:26 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Apr 2011 12:52:33 BDT]

Posted on 19 Aug 2011 23:16:27 BDT
Julie says:
do you know what? I haven't read this book, but I'm so uplifted by the lovely comments people have posted. I find that people who know what depression is really like are more than eager to hold out a helping hand to others. All these comments are so helpful, thanks so much to you all.

Posted on 19 Aug 2011 23:17:43 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Aug 2011 23:18:04 BDT]

Posted on 9 Oct 2011 21:53:47 BDT
Buddy says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (318 customer reviews)

7.99 5.76