4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone overall, just be aware about available storage, 17 April 2012
This review is from: HTC One S Z560E Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I have had this phone a few days now and am loving it. I've upgraded from a HTC Desire, and the larger screen and faster response is certainly much better.

The new version of HTC Sense is an improvement over the old one, although still only has 7 screens and despite the larger screen, it is still limited to the same number of icons/widgets as before. However being able to create folders now should help this limitation. The Apps folder however now has filters so you can show for example only apps you've downloaded.

Battery life seems to be pretty standard for HTC. It'll last me a day, or less if I use it for a lot of web browsing. However as I'm often close to a charger it's not a problem. Certainly better than the old Desire with its two year old battery.

I've got the black version and am suffering from the very tiny chips along the top/usb port that have been reported in the media. However they are only noticeable if I look for them. I plan to get a case so I'm not too bothered, considering how scratched my old phone is! The phone does feel a bit slippery, so hopefully the case will help it feel more secure when I'm holding it. Another thing about the phone is it is cold to the touch, which is unusual. The phone itself feels so light and the thinness more than makes up for the extra length in my opinion.

I've not yet fully adapted to the keyboard. It does have the swype like feature built in which is good. However for some reason it seems harder to type on than the Desire. The lack of optical trackpad has also caught me off guard, we now have little arrows under the keyboard. I keep instinctively going to where it was and hitting the home button instead. Annoying, as is the task-switcher button which I keep brushing accidentally. I miss the search button too! However I'm sure familiarity with the phone will solve these over time though.

The camera is great. I especially like the one touch video function now, as on my old phone switching between photos and videos was a painful process. It also has a few filters, although I don't think they are as good as the Instagram/Streamzoo ones.

One thing I have missed is that Sense no longer has a Desk Clock. I used to use this in night mode on my old phone as an alarm clock, but I couldn't find a similar feature. Plenty of other options in the market though.

The only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is due to the storage. I knew it didn't have an SD card slot, but I decided 16GB was enough since I currently had an 8GB card... i.e. double. I hoped I could get several more albums on it. What I didn't expect was that the space available was only 10GB. 2GB is reserved for apps, and 4GB for system. OK we get dropbox space, but this only lasts 2 years (I hope to keep the phone longer and my MP3 collection will be even larger then) and downloading 24GB when you only have between 0.5GB -> 1.5GB data allowance doesn't add up really!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 May 2012 12:45:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2012 12:47:03 BDT
Martin says:
"Certainly better than the old Desire with its two year old battery."
coupled with
"But overall I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to many years of happy use :)"

Interesting comments - how many years of happy use are you looking forward to with the One S and its non-replaceable battery? As the battery life starts to fade, is the phone just for scrap after 2 years, or perhaps limited to am/pm use only? Or can the unit be sent away, at reasonable cost, for a replacement battery?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 23:09:09 BDT
J. Corwin says:
I still expect the battery to be working after two years (The Desire battery still works). In three or so years I'm sure there will be an affordable means to change them, since it'd be a hole in the market to exploit if not!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2012 12:35:00 BDT
kimi says:
i was told by htc it would cost 30-40 pounds to change the battery for u

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 13:26:22 BDT
Phone_Junkie says:
It is strange that a lot of on line reviews make adverse comments regarding memory left for user. Ok fair enough--BUT---I have never read one adverse comment regarding the 10 point something gig left on the iphone 16gig 4S . Other models of course. Oh how they all royally suck up to the well bitten apple. Do Apple pay these sites to be good little boys?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 13:37:36 BDT
J. Corwin says:
Looking on the internet, it looks like there is 14.4GB of usable space on a 16GB iPhone, but I don't own one to know for sure.
Anyway to answer your question it's just different expectations. If you've lived all your live in a small box, then you're generally OK with moving to another similar size box. If you've lived in big open spaces, and suddenly find yourself confined to a box, it's a bit of a shock.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 10:53:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jul 2012 10:54:18 BDT
Phone_Junkie says:
@J.Corwin, I restored my daughters and I am sure it showed 10.21 gig left. I will not argue point and stand corrected if wrong. I could well be thinking of something else. I am sure the point I made on reviewers still makes sense. Take a look about likes of T3, Techradar-prob the worse, and Trusted reviews-laughable now, guy called Chester being the worse offender. Apple heads the lot of them.

Contrary to what one might think I havn`t got it in for apple, as I say my youngest has an iPhone 4S, I have an iPad3, I bought for reading mainly, far too heavy and battery life isn`t too good so that has to go and replaced with some sort of reader. I only wished I had realised earlier as would have been refunded at Tesco up to 7 days, still mint so should be ok for selling.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (77 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 74.99