5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch television, 1 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Seven Ages of Britain [DVD] (DVD)
As I write this, there are still a couple of episodes left to go in this excellent series. If they are up to the standard of the previous episodes, which I'm sure they will be, then five stars is richly deserved.

In basic terms, this is a guide through the history of Britain and it has a very good host in David Dimbleby. He is enthusiastic without being over the top and presents in an engaging and educational manner. Seven Ages Of Britain [DVD] is a programme where you can really learn plenty about the place that you live and what has impressed me the most is the overall style of the series. It is beautifully filmed and the views inside St Paul's Cathedral just made me want to go there and visit. Another standout are the works of art that are shown and these are again talked about in an extremely interesting way. Many treasures are also seen and one example was the longsword used by King Edward 3rd which was a rare chance to see such an item.

This is high quality television with a host that suits the series totally. I do feel that it is a series that could be watched over and over again as it is so good to look at. Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Mar 2010 12:15:57 GMT
Dave Clews says:
I completely agree with this review - especially the bit about making you want to go and visit some of these treasures. After the first few episodes I was motivated to do just that and had a very enjoyable visit to the British Museum (spent all day there) and, on another day, to the National Gallery. These visits then spurred me on to visit the British Library (Magna Carta, Lindisfarne Gospels and the Beatles original lyrics) and the National Portrait Gallery.
A great TV series which I'm sure will do much to improve tourism to our national treasures! This is what the BBC, in my opinion, is all about - quality and motivational education programmes whilst supporting and promoting our great country.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2010 23:11:15 GMT
Thank's for your interest in my review. Unfortunately, I have never been to the British Museum or any of the other places you have been lucky enough to have visited. St Pauls Cathedral looks superb also and this series gave many of us the chance to see many fascinating things that we never even knew existed. I wasn't too keen on the final episode, I guess that modern art leaves me cold and completely baffles me as to how so much of it is regarded as art when in reality it looks dreadful...An unmade bed??!!!???
‹ Previous 1 Next ›