3.0 out of 5 stars Right message, wrong delivery, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Unfair Advantage -The Power of Financial Education (Kindle Edition)
I've read several of Robert Kiyosaki's books and this one is a clear summary with more detail of all the rest. I'm completely sold on the message, when I first read Rich Dad Poor Dad 10 years ago, it was like he was articulating what I already believed about money and financial freedom.

However, even though the message is spot on, and it really gets across the mindset that people need to become financially free, one issue I have with this book and all his others is the way its written. I would hate to be one of Robert's friends or family, as the way he refers to them sometimes is like they're dumbasses who failed where he succeeded. He talks very arrogantly about how himself and all the rich are so much smarter than all the "monkeys" out there, how it makes him "sick" when people ask him to lunch to "pick his brains" and keeps highlighting it not cool to brag, but writes in a way which does come across like that.

Also, he tries to paint a picture of himself as altruistic, he invests in oil but because he cares about the environment he takes some of those profits and invests in green energy, how much we don't know, but somehow he tries to justify that he's doing it for the good of the planet and not to make lots of money. A lot of the altruistic points he weaves into the book seem a little half hearted, and more for PR, when he spends so much time in the book talking about how much money he plans to make (and I remember in his last book I read he set the goal of becoming a billionaire before he died) - what's more important? Being a billionaire or making the world a better place? With this book and previous ones it's unclear to say for sure which values are more important to him, and now that he's associated himself with Donald Trump, if you can tell a lot about a person by the type of people they hang around with, I'd suspect the altruistic points he tries to make are more for PR than genuine values, just like the Trump. Its OK to just want to be rich, but in order to avoid too much critism it appears Robert is trying to convince everyone he's not just interested in money, which if he isn't, is done very poorly.

And that unfortunately for me is the issue I have with this book and all his previous ones, you can't get people to listen to your message if you talk to them like they're stupid, and you can't build trust if it's unclear where your values really lie. This book reminds me of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion, again a book that articulated my beliefs, but did so in such an arrogant way that it even turned me off from reading it for too long let alone a true believer.

The key messages are fantastic and I hope everyone can learn them some day, but while I'm sure millions of people have read his books and love them, I'm not sure the way they're delivered are really going to engage the other 6.5billion people, the friends and family of mine who I'd love to teach about this stuff but I know will get turned off by the way it's written. If his mission is really to educate a new generation of entrepreneurs (which is very alturistic and admirable) he really needs to address these issues in his writing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jun 2011 11:19:03 BDT
Maybe look at the message rather than get offended at his writing style or attitude.

Posted on 6 Oct 2011 10:43:54 BDT
D. H says:
I love Robert's message, It is set out in a way that even the most poorly educated person can understand it. He doesn't try to make things difficult to understand, he tells his story like a grandfather (sorry Robert but you remind me of my Grandpa) would sit in a chair and tell his grandchildren all about life from his perspective. Which is just what it is "from his perspective"

I have noticed many people strive to be financially free, They start off with a goal in mind and their own personal beliefs and circle of friends. As they make more money they then adjust their circle of friends and their personal beliefs to mix with the people they are more on par with. For instance, when he was young he will have tithed to charity box's, as he became more wealthy he may have tithed more money through a bank accounts and his corporation as most of us do. Now he probably pays $1000's to go to fancy dinners for charity and be swarmed by gifts and champagne. People tend to encircle themselves around people they aspire to be like. it's human nature. Saying that he also has to sell his beliefs to people like us who desire to achieve from the lower/ middle working class. He will be arrogant. He has done what the majority want to do, he has achieved fame and fortune. and people come to him for answers and a magic pill that isn't there. We need to get passed the arrogance and look at what he is trying to teach.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 22:07:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2011 00:06:34 GMT
Louea380 says:
The reviewer is saying that the points raised in the book were valuable however, the arrogant tone undermines that value. He/ she didn't mention being offended.

Personally, I agree with every word the reviewer says. I can appreciate Roberts message but I also don't like the way it's delivered!

Thankfully i'm able to see the value in Roberts books regardless, however i'm sure for many people the arrogant tone would certainly detract from what he's trying to say.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2012 22:21:48 GMT
L. Davis says:
Very well said Louea380, I agree entirely with your comments and would like to thank David Gildeh for an excellent review. It's the first book by Kiyosaki that I have read and I did find the tone rather patronising and the content repetitive at times, but it has certainly made me look at my finances in a different way.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›