Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Red Tails [DVD] (DVD)
I went to my friend's to watch this. He has a great home cinema room and I had been really looking forward to watching the film all day and was in a good mood.
Yes, I knew the reviews were generally poor - but then, besides the obvious classics like The War Lover, Saving Private Ryan, Battle of Britain, Twelve O'clock High etc, I also really like Pearl Harbor (which plays fast and loose with history as Hollywood will do and it got very mixed reviews, but I was thoroughly entertained by it) and Top Gun (a prime piece of cheesy film-making if ever there was one, but it's very satisfying and entertaining cheese IMHO!) . I even love Hanover Street (an unrealistic romantic wartime adventure but one which totally works for me. I love it).

So that all said, I sat back with an open mind, a cheery disposition, a tasty beer and just watched it ....

And within 15 minutes, I realised that, yes, the critics weren't off the mark and this is indeed a 3/5 star movie. Oh well.
And 15 minutes later, I realised that I would have to down-grade the movie to a 2/5. Oh dear. This is quickly becoming a very poor movie indeed, I thought.
And 15 minutes later, my verdict was 1/5. Ohhh, this is a terrible movie.
And 15 minutes later, I just wanted to turn it off. It's just horrific.

Yes, it truly is THAT bad. The only reason I did not turn it off was because I wanted to see the flying jackets and patches - and that's a big interest of mine.
Since I saw it last week, I have been racking my brain trying to think of a worse war movie - but I cannot think of one!!! Even the lamentable "Mosquito Squadron" and "Force 10 From Navarone" are better! Seriously.
It is a complete travesty of film making at every level - except one, which is wardrobe. The jackets and gear are fantastic and look completely authentic. But that is all that can be said of it.

The acting is totally wooden from every actor and the hokey script is laughable (when you aren't wincing).
The characters are so clichéd it is painful to witness and not unlike an old Commando comic.
The story is ridiculous.
The romance in the film is SO BAD, unrealistic and completely ridiculous that I was laughing out loud each time it came up. I had to ask my friend to stop the film 3 times to VENT my sheer anger and frustration - George Lucas's ears must have been burning with the expletives! But then I'm sure he has gotten used to it by now.
There is one establishing shot that had me laughing out loud as it was just like the opening shot of Paris, France in Team America. Yes, it is that clichéd. And again, I had to stop the film.
The combat scenes looked very CGI to me and because they didn't look real to me, they didn't feel real to me. So I wasn't engaged.
And you know a movie is bad when you even notice the AWFUL soundtrack (and how many films can you say that of ?!? Think of one. Go on, try. Just one.) - and that too is really BAD. It sounds like a made-for-video action film from the mid-1980s and pops up so clumsily and so obviously that you can almost hear the "Insert music here" command from the Editor. Awful. This film deserves no stars at all.

It became sadly obvious to me that this film was aimed solely at 8 to 12 year old boys. Only that demographic could possibly enjoy this movie.
If I was a Tuskegee veteran, I would be insulted and furious. Real people fought - not just total discrimination - but the Nazis and they died, suffered and struggled in the real events of this story - and this is how that noble story is told?!?! They deserved so much better than this steaming pile of crap.

Unfortunately, this film has George Lucas written all over it. Yep, the man who brought you the horror that is Jar-Jar Binks. You can actually feel his fingerprints all over this film.
And this film is his swansong (before he sold Lucasfilm for $4.1 Billion to Disney. I would say they paid about $4.0 Billion too much) - and represents the final rusty nails, delivered by nail-gun, in the coffin that is his reputation as a film-maker.
Here lies the grave of that man's career.
No flowers.