Thanks for your review. I have decided to order this book as I am pulling my hair out trying to solve cryptic crosswords! I love trying them because I feel a sense of accomplishment when I get an answer right, but for the most part, when I check the answers I can't even 'see' it in the clue and it's frustrating! I made up some starter clues and tried to follow the basic cryptic rules. Any beginners fancy a stab at them? Seasoned cryptic solvers would blitz these of course.
1) Sad hat (8)
2) Solo predator lends money but beware! (4,5)
3) My father's brother ate rice, pasta and potato after skin complaint (9)
4) Underwater vessel is not good enough (9)
5) Banjo vial is jolly (6)
6) Urban vermin made a big bang in 80's pop (4,4,3)
7) Pool has only ten otters for snap initially (5)
8) Homeless person found in apartment (5)
9) Two thirds of sam with consumption - it's a banger! (7)
10) Green gem is dull (5)
11) Shop sells cheeky primates (6,8)
12) Scottish Vanessa loses heads and tails with a tress at the front (8)
Making up clues is far easier than solving them!