5.0 out of 5 stars True to the 40K universe, an action packed game and a brilliant story., 11 Sept. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I rarely write reviews on games as I find that oppinion on any game can vary widely and the only way to get a good idea if you will like a game is to play it.
That said I feel this game really deserves a review. I will add that if I repeat anything everyone else has said I apologise I haven't read the other reviews.

Environment 5*

I was amazed by how Epic had captured the feel of a Warhammer 40K environment just playing the demo and was then absolutely blown away while playing the full game. They have literaly got it to a T, the graphics are slightly cartoony while still retaining a wow factor and the architecture, vehicles, everything are spot on.

Canon 4.5*

The Epic team have worked with Games Workshop for a number of years now namely on the Dawn of War Franchise which has given them an in depth feel for the Universe their games are set in. This has allowed them to create Spacemarine to a level where any 40K player, tabletop and DoW, will instantly recognise everything and I real mean everything. The only divergence I found was in the vengeance launcher, but its such a minor thing half a star is harsh. I felt that Epic have represented the Ultramarines well. The use of the three different personalities for the characters stretches the accepted Ultramarine stereotype, but then so does Uriel Ventris.

Gameplay 4*

The combat system is pretty amazing and I can't remember ever playing a game that combines melee and ranged combat with such variety and so fluidly. That said it does have a few minor annoyances that hopefully will be ironed out either in the next game or in patches. Namely the camera which at times can be extremely irritating especially on multiplayer.

Multiplayer 4*

Not played a massive amount of Multiplayer but what I have played has been enjoyable and the customisation options are massive. As noted above the camera can be a real pain and the factor that some players have unlocked equipment that kills you really quickly can be annoying. relic seem to have anticipated this though and have therefore allowed you to copy your killers loadout to even the odds.

Story 5*

Not going to say much on this as I don't want to give anything away, but I will say its long, interesting and complex, oh and the ending is very true to character. Enjoy.

I've probably missed some things but this review has got too long, if you have any questions I will reply to sensible comments.

Thank you very much relic and if you could create a game with DoW and Spacemarine combined I think it would be perfect.

Escripion

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Sep 2011 14:51:40 BDT
AscendedMike says:
I'm very interested in purchasing the game. I'm curious though as to how multiplayer works, do you just fight other spacemarines or is there an option of Ork play?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2011 00:07:05 BDT
M. McGrath says:
I find the multiplayer really enjoyable. You play as Spacemarines or Chaos marines depending on what side you get placed but what makes this multiplayer awesome is the customization it is brilliant. I personally being a huge Warhammer and Warhammer 40k fan think this game is awesome! And in the next month they are releasing a free dlc called Exterminatus where you basically fight waves of orks online with friends.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2011 19:06:53 BDT
oh my god i diddnt know that...i cant wait for that. The game is great and the multiplayer has charecter. I would and have picked this up before gow

Posted on 16 Sep 2011 12:57:30 BDT
Probably worth pointing out that Epic make Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, and the Unreal Engine. They have nothing to do with this.

Posted on 20 Sep 2011 15:22:41 BDT
D. Williams says:
Thanks for the excellent review - gonna wait for price to come down a little but am very keen to get this. Used to play tabletop 40K over 20 years ago....yes I'm well into my 30s.

Posted on 13 Nov 2011 10:28:32 GMT
RUNIC !! NOT EPIC THEY HADE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›