5.0 out of 5 stars Unsure at first but given some thought... highly recommended, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Boneland (Weirdstone Trilogy 3) (Hardcover)
Like many others I read Boneland as a much awaited sequel to WoB and MoG. I'd already read reports that the novel would be Garner in 'grown-up' mode and I eagerly anticipated a conclusion to the story.
I read the novel in two sittings, roughly half and half. After reading the first half I was in two minds, I didn't warm to Meg's dialogue and wondered where Garner was going with the parallel narratives.
However, having paused for thought I started to see the novel as in a different light. Familiarity drew me in and I began to recognize the backdrop from the previous books. As a grown up I've often wondered what the magic of childhood turns into with maturity of mind, and I think that Garner has attempted to capture that place in the adult abstract mind between myth/magic and rational thought.
Psychotherapy investigates childhood fears translated into adult terms and I think Garner is brave to use this as the vehicle for discovery and, for me, this was the weakest aspect of the novel. Yet I have to question how he would have done it otherwise.
To me, Meg represents the reason that comes with maturity before (or to prevent) aged bitterness sets in. I love the triple goddess references and its link to 'growing up'.
Lined up with Colin's quest for understanding, I do feel the novel reached a conclusion; not the simple and satisfying conclusion reached children's literature, but a more complex conclusion that life's unanswered questions give us if we dig deep. But that's just me. As another reviewer pointed out, different people will get different things from this book depending on their own perspective and understanding.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Dec 2013 07:47:49 GMT
P. Stroud says:
I would like to thank Ms Christoudoulou for her review of this book. I also loved the previous two stories in this series and have longed for a conclusion. Therefore, as one can imagine I was delighted to learn of Boneland, being the third and final piece.
Having read this review, I am now prepared for the fact that the familiar characters, may not be featured, and any such disappointment as a consequence has been tempered, and I can now approach the book with a neutral expectation rather than a coloured view. I still look forward to reading it, and thanks to this comment may do so with fresh eyes. After all, just like Colin, we've all grown up and must make sense of the world with our adult minds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (102 customer reviews)

16.99 11.55