5.0 out of 5 stars The original and best!, 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: In The Region Of The Summer Stars (Audio CD)
When I was in my late teens back in the dim and distant 70's, I kept seeing banners with The Enid logo at every festival and many of the larger gigs I went to.

So, curious, I bought the vinyl version of In The Region of The Summer Stars for the princely sum of [...] (I've still got the price sticker!) and booked to go to see them (I think it was at The Marquee.). This was a the start of a love affair that has lasted until this day.

This album is full of wonderful melodies, beautiful piano sections and soaring guitars. I played that album until the grooves had nearly worn out. It's unlike anything you've ever heard. Is it classical? Is it progressive rock? I don't know - all I know is that I love it.

For many years, EMI held the master tapes and refused to release it on CD. So, after the demise of my record player I was unable to listen to this masterpiece. Because of this The Enid later re-recorded and the album with several changes but it wasn't the same - I knew every note of the original by heart, and for me, it was the best and although the new version was still excellent, it wasn't MY In The Region of The Summer Stars.

However, when EMI came under new management earlier this year, they agreed to give the master tapes to The Enid, and current member Max Read worked his magic on it and cleaned them up to produce this pristine version of the original ITROTSS.

I am in seventh heaven! I can now listen to my favourite track - The Last Judgement - as it was originally recorded but because it is so clear, I can hear things I've never heard before on my old record player. The quiet piano piece The Lovers, played so beautifully by Robert John Godfrey, sends shivers down my spine and makes me come over all emotional - it's so glorious. And the final track - after which the album is named - leaves me breathless and wanting more.

I've fallen in love all over again. This is the original and best version - released on The Enid's own Operation Seraphim label - and a must have for anyone who loves powerful, melodic rock.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]