5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For A Beginner, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Mastering Unreal Technology: v. 1: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3: A Beginner's Guide to Level Design in Unreal Engine 3 (Paperback)
When I saw this book on Amazon, I hesitated to order it because of it was named "Introduction". As a UDK user, I already knew some fundamental things in UE. Then, I decided to give it a try and ordered it.

The very first thing That surprised me When I received my copy was the thickness of the book. I have to say That It was huge. I do not want to say that all the books having too many pages are enough good. So I began to follow the book with its DVD containing sample levels and other files which are totally dedicated to chapters of the book.

This book is realy amazing. All the topics and chapters are supported many examples and tutorials. Do not think that you know how to navigate in 3d views of Unreal Engine. There are too many new topics and tips , even for importing new assets into the scene. There is also a chapter about creating game assets in 3d Studio Max. Remember, this book is all about Unreal engine.

There is a deep section which is dedicated to material system and workflow of the engine. The book teaches you how to create your very own new materials and how to implament them into the engine in a succesfull way. I can also say that Asset Creation and Static Meshes section has also very satisfied workflow .

Once and for all, I want to declare some decreases for this book. The most important one is skelatal meshes. Do not expect to learn something about this subject from this book. For the second one, I have to say that It is to bad not to see a chapter which is about Phat aditor and creating physic assets in Unreal Engine.It would be nice to see a simple introduction chapter in the book.

I realy like the book and I have learned too many things from it. I highly reccomend you to get it even if you thing you now the basics of the engine. If you are a beginner, this book becomes a must to take place on your book shelf.

Best Regards;

Ozan ÜNLÜ

TURKEY

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]