5.0 out of 5 stars Galileo, Milton, Bernini, Raphael, Cecil Rhodes, George Bush, 27 Jun 2001
This review is from: Angels and Demons (Paperback)
And the list of names above is just a sample of historical figures that play a part in this tale that moves almost as quickly as the corporate plane from CERN.
When I first saw the book and the clever cover I thought it was a gimmick, and generally books with a hologram or in this case an ambigram or other device to get your attention I tend to find disappointing. In this case that feeling could not be further from the truth.
If you really enjoy reading a book that is a meticulously assembled puzzle, or perhaps an enigma that is at once high-tech and 500 years old, this book is for you. If you enjoy the misdirection that a Charles Palliser novel offers you will enjoy this. As I read this Author for the first time I was reminded of the first Robert Ludlum book I read "The Matarese Circle". And like that reading experience I now will go back and read the Author's previous work "Digital Fortress."
Religion versus Science, Galileo versus The Vatican, or perhaps The Illuminati versus Catholicism, or is it religion? Interested in how you can learn the truth of the tale? How about your wallet, have a dollar bill?, good place to start. A book on Bernini's work will help; one of the main characters in the book needed one. Perhaps a map of Rome, or of the smallest Country in the world, actually you need none of these as the Author provides all you could want. A dollar bill as a bookmark will add to the fun.
This is an extremely well researched work that relies on facts, turns its back on cheap literary sleight of hand, and will deliver to the reader a great experience. Do you know from where the word Assassin is derived from? I do, and I have seen other Authors botch this, Mr. Brown gets it correct. There are other details like that that I was familiar with and he nailed them all accurately. This inspires confidence as a reader when he introduces a topic you are unfamiliar with. I chose to check on several of those, and again the information in the story was dead on accurate.
I normally don't check the details of a book this closely, as this book was suggested to me I felt I needed to do so in light of how highly I was to rate the work. I had no obligation to read or comment upon the work.
If you enjoy a great literary ride for pure pleasure think of the better books by Ludlum, Clancy, Dale Brown, Forsythe, LeCarre, and their peers in the genre and you will enjoy this book. And when the book is finished the experience can and should be extended. The book also has an associated website. I won't say what is there, as it will spoil the book. However when reviewed after the reading is complete it makes the whole "Angels And Demons" experience even better. Doubt a detail in the book; the site will probably lay it to rest. But again, book first, site second. I am sure others will copy this bundling of the web with a book, I only hope it as well done as in this case.
I recommend the book without reservation. As I said "Digital Fortress" has been added to my reading list.
Very well done, enjoy!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]