2.0 out of 5 stars Got what I expected., 12 May 2013
This review is from: JOHN MORALES PRESENTS THE M & M MIXES VOLUME 3 (Audio CD)
I bought this expecting to get pretty much what I got: An OK track selection, that neither excites you with any rare and undiscovered tracks, nor immediately makes you cringe because it is to much of a middle-of-the-road wedding DJ selection. Having said that, any half way decent collector will have most of these tracks already. But of course you won't have them in the format of the Previously Unreleased Exclusive Disco Mixes done by John Morales. And with regards to those mixes I got exactly what I expected:

I have been collecting this kind of music for more than three decades and while there is surely some good work to be found amongst the hundreds of remix projects by John and the M+M duo, there has been a fairly sour taste left in my ears ;-) a looong time ago. If I needed to explain to anyone why I do not rate him as highly as some other remixers of similar renown I would reach for this compilation to explain it.

My three main complaints: Drum sounds, drum programming and song structure.

I don't know when each of these remixes were made, but regardless of their age my criticism is that the drum sounds used, especially many hi-hats, are weak and annoying. I don't know how to best describe it but they are neither "clean" but equally they are not dirty (as in funky). To me they often just sound "cheap" - which might be due to their vintage.
The rhythms though, ie the drum programming, is so monotonously boring that it really takes the funk out of many of the tracks. Titles like "Now That We Found Love" or the West End classics "Ride On The Rhythm" and "Do It To The Music", to name just three, loose all their "swing" and get steam-rolled by Mr. Morales' unimaginative drum programming. There is simply no enhancement achieved by these remixes: The day I received this 3CD set I happened to also have the original Blackbyrds album in my CD changer and hearing the original "Rock Creek Park" in comparison to this "M+M Retouch" really made me wonder where the remix could have its use. I think it would feel equally out of place in a modern club amongst other tracks with fat 4-to-the-floor bass drums as it would do in a set of 80s club tracks with their original funky / jazzy vibe.
My third issue with many of the mixes is the incredible length. Don't get me wrong: I don't mind an eight, ten or even fifteen minute long groove, but either you lock it in the pocket or you create a really interesting structure; listen to Dmitri's Philly Int'l remixes for good examples of the latter. To stretch everything into the 8-10 minute range without doing either is just tedious. Take John's version of Curtis Hairston's "I Want Your Lovin'" for example: Timothy Regisford and Boyd Jarvis had originally delivered a mix which gently extended the simple 3 minute pop song structure to five and a half minutes while keeping you entertained. It was enough to create a classic (with a absolutely listenable seven minute plus Dub mix on the flip!). John stretches the basic verse and chorus structure by adding a couple of boring instrumental minutes to it (of course in addition to messing up the original drum and bass sound...). The image that came up in my head was that this would be a great for any DJ to talk over and read out some number plates of people who need to move their cars because they are blocking the fire exits. Funnily enough this is the shortest track at 7:41 on the whole set. Hey, you might still hear the same tune on the sound system by the time you've moved that car. On the other hand you might decide that this dancefloor is not worth coming back to.

I expect to get some flak from Morales aficionados for my opinion.
Fell free to disagree.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 May 2013 14:41:07 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 13 May 2013 14:41:49 BDT]

Posted on 13 May 2013 14:41:36 BDT
yes disagree HIGHLY.....
This Remix Comp was not made to stun people who are not into the genre......
It was done to augument the original mixes for dancing pleasure.....
These were made to be played at the club, party, or any gathering of people who LOVE Early Disco/Dance.....
At least 80% of this comp is FIYA on my dance floor and the response on my Disco935 show has been 100% Positive....
FANTASTIC MIXES here from M&M.....he is to be applauded.....

Posted on 13 May 2013 16:15:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2013 09:26:32 BDT
I've not yet listened to every track all the way through, but as much as I love John's work, I fear you may be right.

His mixes of "Ride On The Rhythm" and "Do It To The Music" feel like they lack the excitement of the originals, and some of the other mixes start to drag, causing me to reach for the next track button when they are barely half way through.

But I will withhold judgement until I've had a chance to listen to the set in it's entirety.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2013 17:07:18 BDT
my highlites are:
barry white, jean carn, hamilton affair, t-connection, both teddys, jones girls, blackbyrds, & mahogeny....

Posted on 13 May 2013 23:54:23 BDT
The prime objective of this compilation was to get people dancing on the dance floor and in my opinion it succeeds in every way. As a dj and regular club goer I have not seen or heard of any of these tracks fail when it comes to the above objective. There is no need to get analytical in judging this latest offering from John Morales, just move out of the bedroom and hit a club and see the reaction for yourself when any one of these tracks is played from the triple pack Cd. I personally see a lot of longevity in this Cd .... Class is Class after all..

Michael Caithness
(Soulboy)

Posted on 14 May 2013 17:31:06 BDT
soulboyadam says:
Sure , everyone has an opinion , and rightly so , but for me , this review totally misses the point of this glorious album

John is a great dj , in demand across the world . He's observed his crowd and what moves them , as every DJ should , then given them what they want with this superb collection of bang up to date mixes of wonderful songs.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 15:44:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2013 15:57:12 BDT
george e. says:
Totally agree. If this was a blunt re-mix compilation "updated" for what is considered to be the "today-sound" (if this term makes any sense at all) I wouldn't even bother to play it. This music was played by real instruments and complete orchestras with no electronic "add-ons" to spice it up. Now, if there was a place in my country that played this music exclusively, I'd move to this groove forever every night. This does not aim for "mainstream" crap club-play. It aims for DJs who know what real music is, Clubs and places with a certain audience and dancers who demand this quality and sound of music to shake their a***s to, so, no, these long versions only extend the pleasure of sounds caressing my ears and moving my feet and by no-means bore me (and I KNOW I'm not alone feeling like this). John Morales and Tom Moulton are legendary DJs/producers who KNOW their music and have full respect to the tastes and listening/dancing pleasure of their crowds. Their re-touches are classy and groovy without spoiling the original fun. 'Nuff said.

Posted on 12 May 2014 12:05:28 BDT
i ask the question why the hell did you buy the album in the first place if you knew what to expect from it? not very clever.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2014 14:34:09 BDT
Yemsky says:
Thank you for rating my intelligence based on a product review. I estimate that I buy around 300-400 CDs and records per year. Do you seriously think that everyone's a winner?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

Reviewer