3.0 out of 5 stars City of Dragons - where is the other half of the book???, 11 April 2012
This review is from: City of Dragons (Rain Wilds Chronicles) (Paperback)
Robin Hobb used to be my all time favorit phantasy writer - and I would give all her other books 5*s! I could hardly wait for this new volume to come out, but now that I have got and read it, I am a bit dissappointed.

The book feels like about half the size of her previouse Robin Hobb books. Perhaps I am a creature of habit, but I have gotten used to her trilogies. Now suddenly it looks like there is going to be at least 4 in this series?
I would not mind this if the size of this book would be the same as her usual books, but it does a feel bit short (I count about 200 pages less than usual).
Add to that that at least a third, especially the beginning, of the book reiterates plots from past books in partialyy tiresom retropections of the main characters.
If not for my loyalty to Robin Hobb I might have put the book down after 100 pages of notghing much 'new' happening.
I am glad I did not - as Robin does come up with some great and interesting 'new' stuff for the last 150-200 pages.
Nevertheless, after dragging myself through the beginning of the book and just warming up and starting to develop my usual enthusiasm for her writing - the book is finished and I feel somewhat cheated!

I pray Vol.4 will be here soon and that Robin will be inspired with many gifted ideas to bring it back to a standard, of richness and size, which is worthy of her talent!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Apr 2012 17:59:05 BDT
VanDragon says:
Hiya!
Ther eis supposed to be a fourth and final book. Check out Robin Hobb on facebook or failing that look at her official website where it mentions she wanted to write only 3 books but the story was too long for one book. Therefore Robin and her publisher decided to write and finish the story in a fourth book. Dont despair! The long wait is all the much sweeter!
:o)

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 16:47:46 BDT
Many thanks for your review. I have been looking forward to this book being published. I very rarely buy newly published hardback books but as I enjoyed the first two so much I had decided to treat myself to this one as soon as it was published. I will now save my money until the paperback is available.

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 21:14:48 BDT
suse-lou says:
I agree 100%

Posted on 11 Jun 2012 08:09:49 BDT
Michelle says:
Agree with your review. This is a disappointing book. I fear though that vol 4 will be disappointing too. Having checked out the link to vol 4 on Amazon Blood of Dragons (The Rain Wild Chronicles, Book 4) it's only 400 pages long apparently. Could have combined the two and cut out a lot of the recapping dross had she and the publishers not wanted to make money on four books perhaps....

Posted on 2 Jul 2012 12:48:41 BDT
A. Llewellyn says:
Thank you for your helpful review - I think the answer is to wait for the fourth book and buy them together :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (202 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £5.87