5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Camera, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P310 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 4.2x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
All I was looking for is easy to use point a shoot camera which is an alternative to my Canon 550 digital SLR and which I can give to my wife who has no knowledge of cameras so I have a chance to get on a family picture from time to time. My main use for this camera is family pictures of my small children in areas where it is not very convenient to carry an SLR.

The overall experience is good for a camera in this price range. I find the overall handling of the camera intuitive and the autimatic settings are very straightforward to use. I did not put in the time and effort to work out all the manual setting yet. The quality of the pictures is certainly a good step up from any of my previous digital point and shoot cameras. The display on the back is excellent. The focus is very quick. The HD video does a fairly good job considering the size of the camera. It is certainly better than my phone or my Flip camera.

Although it boots up quickly it is still too slow for most pictures where my kids are involved. By the time I turn it on, the lens comes out and the picture is focussed the kids are miles away again. It is slow compared to my SLR but pretty quick compared to other digital pocket cameras.

The only thing I really dislike is that the flash does not pop up automatically. It would make things much easier if I did not have to remember this every time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jun 2012 19:47:20 BDT
A.Bell says:
Hi there. Nikon seem to have a thing with flashes at the moment. In direct contrast to your flash not popping up, ( I am assuming you mean in the Auto mode) the flash on my recently bought Coolpix 8200S pops up obtrusively when trying to compose a picture..They must have a 'blind spot' where flashes are concerned on their compacts. Lol.

Posted on 28 Dec 2013 10:25:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2013 10:26:33 GMT
An excellent review with lots of useful info. Thanks. It's helped me decide what camera to get for my wife who is struggling a bit with her current Canon.

Your point about non-pop-up flash is interesting. I used to use a Fuji S7000 bridge camera until I pretty well wore it out. That had a button on the side of the flash housing which let me raise the flash in a split second. I liked that. I now have a Canon SX50 bridge which has a small 'lip' on the flash casing which I also have to use when I want flash. This is OK but not as handy as a button on the side of the flash casing. I'm now used to it and don't even need to think about it. My wife has a Canon SX210 on which tha flash DOES pop up as soon as the camera is turned on and we both find it distracting to have to push it back down then it's not needed and we may be rotating the camera when deciding between portrait or landscape or tilted formats.

So, on balance, I think I now prefer non pop-up flash units on compacts but, either way, you soon grow accustomed to whatever your camera offers.

For me, the main issue is this .. if most or all of the other functions and features on a camera give you what you want - then so be it. Go with compromise.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2013 11:48:13 GMT
A.Bell says:
Agreed. Interestingly, I still have my Fuji E550 which also has a button to push for the pop-up flash. It also has a useful optical viewfinder which I miss on newer cameras. As you say......go with the flow.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (34 customer reviews)

£299.99 £249.00