5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding picture!, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sony KDL46HX853 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p SMART 3D Dynamic LED Television with Built-in Home Theatre System Stand (New for 2012) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I was deliberating between this one and the 753 model and as I couldn't see much difference between the two apart from a £300 price difference I plumped for the 753 model, admittedly I ordered it from John Lewis, then I came across more info that this model was vastly superior in picture quality so I immediately cancelled the 753 and tried to order this from John Lewis but alas they don't stock it any more due to new models being released this spring so I decided to purchase from Amazon as I've always been happy with and secure in the knowledge they are one of the best for replacements/customer service etc if anything should be amiss. I was somewhat miffed I had to purchase a separate warranty buying from Amazon as John Lewis offers their own free 5yr one. I only buy extended warranties for an expensive purchase such as this which should last numerous years.

Anyway, this beauty arrived very quickly and was very easy to set-up on its included stand. The 6 degree tilt backwards I was worried about before ordering but I have not noticed the tilt whatsoever so it's not a problem for me as I thought it might be. I was also not keen on the glossy screen, I can't stand reflections on tv's. Thankfully it hasn't been too much of an issue, the only time I've noticed a reflection is watching in the evening with a dim lamp next to me with the rest of the room in the dark. I can see a bit of the lamp reflected in the screen but it's not a big problem to fix, I'll just need to move the lamp!

Coming from a 32" HD ready Sony bravia that I've had approx 7yrs, the 46" initially looked massive! Within a few days it now looks more normal in my room. I connect the tv, dvd player, sky HD box, XBox etc through a Sony amp so I can't really comment on the poor sound described by others through the tv speakers but modern thin tv's are designed really to be used with surround sound systems anyway so if you don't have one make sure to include one in your budget or even a decent soundbar if you don't have enough room.

Out of the box the picture is really decent but having lurked on forums where they discuss the 'perfect' picture settings, set to scene: cinema. I proceeded to follow them but to my eyes it looked an awful lot worse! So I started fiddling and tweaking myself and let my eyes guide me. This is my 'perfect' settings:

Eco settings, all turned off. Scene select off.
General tv (24p)
Resolution: Max.
Smooth Graduation: High.
Motionflow: Smooth.
Film Mode: Auto 1

Until I made these adjustments I saw quite a bit of light at each corner of the screen, using these settings has minimised it so much I barely notice it unless I'm in a menu which isn't a problem. These settings also gave me a really good crisp, sharp, high quality picture that blew me away! I could be heard saying 'wow' quite regularly under my breath whilst watching tv for the first two days I had it! I hope my settings help someone get a good picture and you can then tweak it further if necessary to suit you. While I'm a bit of a female geek, I am not a total tech head who knows all the ins and outs of calibrating tv pictures but I found these settings worked for everything from general tv watching, xbox games, blu-ray player and streaming films from lovefilm at least for me so may be a good place to start.

Speaking of changing settings within the menus, I was expecting tons and tons of options that were hard to find and would take weeks and months to figure out after reading people saying they were unintuitive and difficult but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there isn't really as many options as I was fearing. Yes, some of the picture settings are under different option categories but its more tedious to keep delving into them all to change things than difficult.

3D for me is a bit of a gimmick and while it does work fine, I expected something more. Things don't pop out as much as I thought they might but that could just be me not having watched anything in 3D before and yes I was wearing Sony 3D glasses turned on, watching a Sky 3D channel before anyone asks lol

The wifi on the tv picked up my network instantly with 4 bars even though it's 150ft away from the router, shame about the sony 3D blu ray player I bought with £90 off it, bundled with tv, sat next to the tv I was lucky to get an internet connection at all.

I have no stuck or dead pixels, I don't see any banding or clouding, just an absolutely breathtaking picture! I find myself watching programs I never would have before, any excuse to watch and marvel at such a fantastic picture. SD pictures are just as good as my old HD ready 720p tv showing HD programs. It's THAT good!

[Add comment]