5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Handheld GPS, 15 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Handheld GPS (Sports)
I purchased the Garmin eTrex (my first GPS unit) to take on holiday with me to Tiree in order to geotag my photos taken with my brand new Sony a350L DSLR (a brilliant camera!). It was bought it on the strength of the Garmin name and other reviews here on Amazon UK.

Battery and Micro SD Card installation was easy as it gets, but the landyard was a different story. It was very fiddly to install for someone with fingers my size. I had to use a piece of wire to thread it through the very narrow loop. However, once it was in place it gave a sense of security around my neck. Please don't be put off by this...

On switching on for the first time. it only took a few minutes to acquire enough satellites to fix my position (our back garden in Dundee). This is important if you are a photographer and are moving around quickly. Learning all the buttons was very quick and I was storing waypoints in minutes! I also found out fairly quickly how to work with waypoints and tracklogs -- my main reason for purchase. The altimeter and compass were also very easy to use.

The unit has a host of features which will be useful to seasoned walkers etc, but I haven't explored all of these these yet. The supplied MapSource software was excellent, but I would advise any would be purchasers to download the latest version. The program makes this easy to do.

The software installation also includes the necessary GPS unit and USB cable "drivers" so I was able to download and display my first track (from Dundee to Oban) within one minute of first connecting the unit. Excellent!!

As its a Garmin, it will also work with a lot of commercial, shareware and freeware programs such as RoboGeo and Microsoft Pro Photo Tools. An added bonus is that Google Earth talks directly to it and will display your tracks and waypoints on a very detailed map. Neat!

Build quality is excellent and there are cases available for protection. The quality of the inbuilt maps is not great, but more than adequate for geotagging. Fortunately detailed maps are available on Micro SD Cards for serious GPSers. As mentioned elsewhere the unit eats batteries, but this is a small price to pay for the convenience.

All in all, a brilliant bit of kit. Highly recommended.

[Add comment]