4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, powerful PC but quality control at supplier could be better, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Powerful gaming PC! CSL Speed 4718uPro (Core i7) incl. Windows 7 Professional - computer system with Intel Core i7-4790 4x 3600 MHz, 1000GB SATA, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS Mainboard, GeForce GT 730 4096 MB, USB 3.0, WiFi - the ultimate quad core gaming PC! (Personal Computers)
Powerful gaming PC - CSL Speed 4718uPro (Core i7) incl. Windows 7 (by CSL-Computer, Germany)

Spec:

Intel Core i7-4790 (4x 3600 MHz)
1 GB SATA HDD
16GB DDR3 RAM (x2 * GB modules)
MSI Mainboard
GeForce GT 630 (4096 MB video RAM)
USB 3.0
WLAN (installed on PC, but not reviewed here as not required)
WIN 7 PRO

Ordered Tueday - got an email on Thursday saying that there would be a 10-18 day wait for delivery. It was actually delivered the next day (Friday) !!!

PC reasonably well packed - a Large(ish) sturdy cardboard box contains another (slightly smaller) strudy cardboard. The PC itself is covered in a plastic bag and surrounded by two-piece moulded polystyrene packing sections.

A molded UK plug and 'kettle' type lead is provided, in addition to the standard German 'Schuko' type plug and lead (it is a German supplier, don't forget !).

A small anti-static bag contains the driver disks for the individual hardware components within the PC (Motherboard, Graphics
cards, Operating system, etc). Also within this bag is a smaller wrapped package (approx 3 inches long) containing the two
wireless card antennae (my PC came with this card installed as a standard fit) - be careful that you don't lose these or discard with the packaging !

First impressions: The whole PC is very light and you have a passing thought that something is missing ! Some previous comments about the 'fit' of the rear panel (making the USB 3 ports unuseable) was valid in my case - in the end, I loosened two screws holding the motherboard and used a small instrument screwdriver to 'adjust' the metal surround around the ports until I could get a USB device to fit (any device does the job). I then retightened (but not too tight) the two motherboard screws and all is now well. A minor irritation, but surely should be picked up as part of the suppliers Quality Control (hence I'm giving 4 out of 5 stars) ?

Where a seperate graphics card has been installed such as this review machine, the supplier has helpfully put a large sticker over the on-board graphics port blocking it off and reminding the user that connection is to be made through the card ports (of which there was x1 VGA, x1 DVI and x1 HDMI - the HDMI port being the one that I connected to my to my 50 inch Samsung plasma for testing).

As has been described earlier, the initial 'boot-up' is in German and takes several minutes whilst the drivers are loaded, etc (all notifications are mainly still in German (with the odd English message thrown in for good measure !). Don't panic !

After several minutes, the Microsoft Windows initialisation sequence starts and this is where you change the language (and
keyboard) settings to English UK (or whatever your desired language is):

WARNING:
The Microsoft dialogue boxes also warn you of this icircumstance, but 'll reiterate that you MUST take care chosing the correct language settings at this point, as these CANNOT be changed at a later time !!

Just take your time doing this and all will be well (selection of English (UK) changed the default setting from German to
English (UK) with no dramas at all) !

The next signifcant point is to 'activate' the MS Windows product (mine was WIN 7 PRO) - on this review machine, there is a sticker on the side panel of the computer containing the licence number.
NOTE: I found it very difficult to read the digits on the sticker, as they're pretty small. However, take your time, read them correctly, enter the digits and all will be well again !

After this, the computer will eventually boot to the Desktop - just expect a whole raft of updates to be required, before you use the PC !

CONCLUSION:
I have only carried out the activation and intial boot-up of my PC as I've just ordered a Solid State Drive (SSD) and mounting kit
(also contains a Cloning software suite so that you can make the SSD a 'bootable' device).
With the PC "as is", so far so good. It's reasonably well specified for my requirements (office work with the odd bit of MS
Flightsim) and I will be loading MS Office 2010 once my SSD has arrived. I was extremely pleased with the price of this PC (hence the prime reason for my purchase!).

For interest, this is the subsequent SSD and adaptor kit that I have ordered - I'll update once it's installed and configured.

(1) OCZ OCZSSDUPGDKIT1 Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit

(2) SanDisk SDSSDHP-256G-G25 256 GB Ultra Plus SATA III 19 nm 7 mm Internal 2.5-inch Solid State Device

Thank you for taking the time to read this review - Paul

EDIT:

I have installed the SSD and the mounting kit.

Initially with a clean installation of WIN 7 PRO (no Service Packs downloaded, the standard 1TB Toshiba hard-disk (it's a type DT01ACA100, SATA 3 drive, by the way)was taking about 20-25 seconds to boot to a usable Desktop.

After SSD, this is now about 8-10 seconds.

The mounting kit contains all you need to mount the SSD into the computer chassis, although the supplied SATA cable is far too short (I have ordered another, 50 cm in length).
The mounting kit comes with cloning software so that you can clone the Operating system (WIN 7 PRO) onto the SSD. I had a slight hiccup trying to Clone my existing hard-disk onto the SSD using the USB connection (it didn't seem to want to clone). I cured this by simply connecting (temporarily) the SSD to the Motherboard using the power connector and SATA connector from the CD-Drive. I then just did a clone straight from my hard-drive to the SSD using the onbaord SATA bus, ignoring te USB connection (it took 7 minutes using this method).

I am well pleased with the performance now !

Paul

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jun 2014 21:53:23 BDT
Hi, I recently got this computer for my son and I have the same problem you were mentioning about the USB ports not lining up. If you wouldn't mind could you explain in more detail how you fixed this so perhaps I could do the same?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2014 16:03:17 BDT
PaulMc says:
Hi

I have prepared a little instruction sheet (with some pictures) on how I rectified this (hopefully it will work for you) - you'll have to PM me though, as I can't attach the pdf to this message (use pagmcginn(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll reply as quickly as I can) - Paul

Posted on 16 Jan 2015 02:50:49 GMT
S7 says:
A bit late i know, but you could have simply unplugged the HDD drive SATA cable, plugged in the SSD drive SATA cable and power supply, done a clean install of Windows onto the SSD drive using the iwndows CD, then plugged your HDD drive back in to give you a bootable SSD with your HDD as Storage. Much easier than cloning, and a lot less hassle :)

Hopefully this will help others in the future!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2015 23:17:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2015 23:23:14 GMT
PaulMc says:
Hi S7 !

I can see what you're saying - and yes, this would have probably worked reasonably well........however.....

In my expereince, doing a clean install of Windows can be quite a time consuming (last time I did a fresh Vista install and then configured to my requirements = about an 1 hour or so), whearas the cloning was as simaple as:

(1) Select source (original hard-drive)
(2) Select destination drive (new drive = SSD)
(3) Select 'CLONE DRIVE' (or OK) button
(4) Wait approx 10 mins
(5) Job jone - an EXACT copy of the orignal drive, no additional setting-up required !

I'm not saying that your method is a valid way of acheiving a bootable SSD - my own opinion is that it is much easier to just use the supplied cloning software to do the complete job (copying all system and config files)

Now as I cloned, my original HDD (which is now my secondary device), I could still use it as a bootable drive if my SSD fails.

As you correctly imply, you could do a clean install on a blank disk (HDD or SSD) with the supplied CD ROM's (which include an OEM version of Window 7 Professional), which would give a clean install ....

However, my advice to any purchaser buying a separate SSD (as in my original review), is to use the supplied clonIng software - it's SO simple to use and takes minutes few !

Regards - Paul Mc