3.0 out of 5 stars Nice doll but features a disappointment, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: John Adams Classic Tiny Tears (Toy)
We bought this doll for my 3 year old, who is completely doll-obsessed so we have more than our fair share to compare it to! Primarily I wanted to get her a doll that did something and was a bit different to the others, so we got this with it's tears features.
I'll start with the good points - overall it's a nice size, and feels quite sturdy. The arm and legs are more of a ball joint, so they allow for much better movement than most, who just let you do the forward and back motion. This is really helpful when little children are trying to get them into pushchairs etc.
We were however, really disappointed with the tears/potty/drinking feature. Firstly, the water bottle is useless, it doesn't stand up as it has a curved bottom - not particularly helpful when it's supposed to be filled with water! Add to that the fact that it leaks awfully when you tip it up to feed the doll and you'll find everything is covered in water before you've even begun.
When you do feed the doll, it's really hard to get the bottle into her mouth enough to make it work - my little girl can't do it by herself yet (or put the dummy in as it doesn't seem to go in far enough). When you do actually get it in properly, you obviously have to contend with the leaking bottle and then the doll starts leaking water from her leg joints as well as her bottom! Then the only way we've been able to make her cry is to tip her forwards (whilst sat on the potty, as water comes from all directions at the same time), which means that you don't actually see her crying unless you hold her above you!
So overall, no, I wouldn't recommend it - and am struggling to see how such a badly designed doll has survived so many years without issues like the above being rectified. What a shame...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jun 2013 18:07:47 BDT
Flower says:
we bought this doll too for our 5 yr old and we thought the water bottle was useless as it had a curved bottom not very good when you want to stand it down. Also the potty has holes in it. not very good when tiny tears is sitting on it wetting. And we are trying to find out how tiny tears cries as we have yet to make her do it. Will try again but when we sat her on the potty she did not cry, just leaked round the neck. Hole in mouth also too small to get bottle in. Would agree this has several design faults, that i would have thought would have been rectified before mass production!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2013 22:24:36 BDT
What you have described reminds me of the faults with tiny tears from when I was a child 40 years ago!! Looks like the classic version, is just as it was!

Posted on 23 Sep 2013 12:35:02 BDT
shame that the manufacturers care so little as to not even respond to customer comments such as this, thanks for the helpful review, I won't now be buying for my doll obsessed 7 year old for christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2014 14:23:20 BDT
C Lee says:
Can I ask what did you buy instead and was you happy with it? Also looking for a doll for my 7 year old.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 22:52:44 BDT
Jenny says:
I've found the baby Annabel dolls to be pretty good so far

Posted on 29 Mar 2015 21:38:56 BDT
Vicki1605 says:
I'd like to address the comments on the curved base of the water bottle... this is actually a health and safety feature. The base is curved on purpose so that the bottle can't stand up. This stops the bottle being left on the floor, therefore preventing toddlers from falling or standing on the nib.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›