2.0 out of 5 stars Please make it stop., 9 July 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Project Zero 2 (Wii) (Video Game)
Now, I have been a long time Project Zero fan and when I first heard of the 'Deep Crimson Butterfly' remake of Project Zero 2: Crimson Butterfly I was very excited as PZ2 is my most favourite of the series. Though my excitement faded quick when I discovered it was to be a Wii exclusive. Long have us fans pleaded for a new game on the PS3/360 and this is what we get. Damn.

So anyway, I bought the game today with hopes of getting a good night out of it. Sadly that was not to be the case.
Upon firing the game up and taking control of Mio, I discovered that this game controls horribly. The camera is controlled by tilting the remote up and down, to look up and down respectively and to twist the remote to look left and right. Looking up and down is fine, but the twisting involved just to look to the side of you is unresponsive, slow and just damn right uncomfortable. I should also mention that the camera takes an age to go where you want it to. The controls are the same when operating the Camera Obscura aswell, so it is very difficult to actually get the view finder over a ghost to take a snap. Thank god for the auto aim, you'll need it. Though auto aim in a PZ game is just ridiculas.
The strafing feature is awkward and a pain to use. There is next to no difference in running/walking speed, defeating the point of the run button altogether. The 180 quickturn is activated by flicking the remote and is very unresponive and the onscreen action happens several seconds after you perform the flick.
To sum it up the controls are horrible. Totally horrible. Even after 3 hours of play time I just cannot get on with them. Give me a proper controller please!

There have been a few additions to the game in the form of new voice cast, this time actual English people. Usually I love when a game uses real English VA's as its not done often, but in this game its terribly out of place and somewhat 'cheesy' and makes for an uncomfortable experience in my opinion. Shouldve stuck with the original cast.
They have also added dialog in places where there wasent any in the original. Poorly inserted aswell as it more often than not ruins the tense atmosphere that the original brought out so well.
Some new cutscenes have been forced in aswell. For example, the female ghost you see entering the first house. In the original you see her enter in the distance in real time, creating a quick scare and a holy s*** moment. In the Wii version it's a cutscene and removes any fear you may have had. In fact most of the random ghost sightings in this game are now cutscenes totally ruining the immersion.

I honestly think the only good thing about this Wii version is the improved graphics. Though to be honest, they havent been improved THAT much. But at least it's something.

If your a fan of Project Zero I'd seriously recommend you avoid this dreadful remake. I was still holding out for a HD collection of PZ1,2 and 3 for the PS3/360, but then I found out Nintendo have bought the rights to the series. Dear God help us.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jul 2012 17:25:25 BDT
Ps360 fanboy, as if anyone would take your opinion seriously when your first paragrapgh was immediately negative because of the console's exclusivity!

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 17:24:40 BDT
Ceallaigh says:

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2012 17:50:44 BDT
C. Simmonite says:
@Cathal Donnelly. First off, I am not a fanboy of any particular company or console. I was just rather dissapointed that after a long time waiting for a new Project Zero game on the PS3/360, as a lot of fans were, this was along with PZ4 being Wii exclusives was a nasty shot to the pills for series fans who dont have a Wii.

@Ceallaigh. I agree, I was a huge fan of the Gamecube and arounf launch I didnt think the Wii that bad. Shame it went downhill quick with the majority of its games being shovelware.
I have indeed checked out Siren Blood Curse. I'm a fan of the first two Siren games so Blood Curse was a day one purchase for me! Need more decent survival/horror games fullstop to be honest!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›