2.0 out of 5 stars On Different Screens., 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Waking The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
WE - that is I, your humble narrator, and these other droog reviewers - must be on different pages. Or different planets. Whichever it is, I'm over here feeling lonely; always the outsider.
From reading the reviews on here I had high expectations, but it really failed to deliver and they came quickly tumbling down.
The film flashes around right from the get-go that there's just no room for considerable character development. All too often this happens in films, so if you're an aspiring director, take note, you can be better than the churning Hollywood stomachs (and other individuals).
I couldn't care what happens to the characters because I haven't seen enough of them, I haven't connected with them, no relation, you know. They're a couple? They're in love? Thanks for telling me, stranger. Why don't they seem like they're in love then? Because I haven't seen them together for more than ten minutes before something dreadful occurs. Dreadful for them, not for me. And there lies the problem, I don't care, it's no tragedy for me, I'm not affected, I don't know these people.

~

Look at the Titanic, it's sinking, but what a film. Not a favourite of mine or anything, I'm no James Cameron, but a good example of quality on-screen chemistry and character development. Then again, it is 3 hours in length - fairplay, lazy guts!
Perhaps spend some time catching rays in 500 Days of Summer, where the love-y weather feels real, confusing, twisted, painful.
Oh opinions, opinions, smelly-on-the-breath opinions.

~

Billy Crudup is a very good actor.
You already know that. Ever seen Jesus' Son? He be Billy Crudup. Easy on, that wasn't some bizarre religious dig. I'm a big fan of him in that indie flick. He's choosy and he's a good-un. Here though, back now with my focus on Waking The Dead, old Billy boy doesn't seem to fit well into his shoes. I'm certain it's not him, but instead the shoes that are to blame. The character isn't likeable, he's just some Harvard student (no, I'm not bitter, I'm British - university sucks anyway), some guy, not very memorable, seems sort of cold. I guess the snow machine complimented this side of his personality. Anyway, I'm rambling and taking you with me unwillingly. The character didn't make much conversation, I lost interest. Jennifer Connelly's character was a bit better, maybe because she's female, but still nothing to rave review about. Her face was the will to keep watching, she's a natural cutie. If there was a glimmer of affection between the two, I may have seen it in her eyes.
Otherwise and elsewhere, what can be said? Lacking in passion. Fruitless. Um, it resembled a budget television production for the most part and the lighting seemed unnatural or fake. Something about the vibe and the look, the set and a missing ingredient. I think the whole pie was spoiled by some bad apples; crew apples; apples in charge. What was potentially a good pie became weak, a rotten apple crumble. The chemistry had slipped (on the ice) away from the characters who should have been like mad-in-love scientists. Romance is not in the air here, only a film hijacked by body snatchers.
To conclude in a further shoddy manner, Waking the Dead is a run-of-the-mill film, marathon-run-of-the-mill, not a profound experience. For that you'll want to wake up, decalcify your pine and immerse yourself in the true nature of the world. Wow, more than meets the eye.

Ta-da, thank you for taking a boat ride down my stream-of-consciousness. You might even consider it a shower of shi-
I've been crazy, you've been witness.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]