2.0 out of 5 stars Feel guilty for not enjoying it, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: No Easy Road (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book. I had seen on a few discussion boards someone telling people how great it was and there was a couple of 5 star reviews so I had high hopes.

I have read a few biographies lately by non-celebs and I have tremendous respect for Patsy Whyte and her determination to turn her life around given the upbringing that she had. However, I didn't enjoy this book at all, the problem wasn't with the subject matter (which had the chance of being depressing) it should have been a thought provoking and engaging book which made you want to learn more about Patsy's life. The writing style prevented this from happening. The writing itself was very flat and devoid of feeling and paragraphs jumped about from one place to another. I reached a point where I stopped caring about Patsy and given the subject matter this is the exact opposite of what was needed from a reader. I can see what the author was trying to do and I think with either (a) a better publisher who put more effort into the rewriting and editing or (b) a ghost writer then this book could have been brilliant.

I was also disappointed with the blurb on the back of the book as it really doesn't reflect what the story was about, yes Patsy sees ghosts but each meeting is like a side issue that is mentioned in a couple of sentences and then forgotten about. I had expected this to be a central theme, more like The Sixth Sense given that it's part of the sales pitch.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2011 13:05:16 GMT
MD says:
I can't wait to read this for myself, it sounds thoroughly full of intrigue and is going on to my wish list, along with the Kindle I'm hankering for.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2011 08:27:43 GMT
BookBliss says:
The Kindle is one of the best purchases I've made, I'm sorry to say this is a book I wouldn't recommend for it but maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2011 08:53:32 GMT
Noticed all your other reviews - designer shoes, make-up, blankets etc and yes, the odd book, too. Into affiliate marketing? Each to their own, I suppose. As for No Easy Road, I would recommend it to everyone. Some people have a terrible start to their life and yet still overcome impossible odds. I hope Patsy Whyte writes her second book. I'll be first in the queue to buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2011 09:30:53 GMT
BookBliss says:
There really is no need to get personal, especially with an argument which makes no sense, anyone looking through my reviews will see that the majority of them are for books and that I have never reviewed a blanket (as i don't own one) please explain how affiliate marketing is linked to reviewing something on Amazon. I believe you have recommended this book to everyone, it was from your "selling" this book in all the forums that I purchased it in the first place. As you said each to their own, my opinion is different to yours, there's no need to be funny with me. As you'll see from my comment above, although I wouldn't recommend the book I wouldn't say to anyone don't buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2011 09:49:46 GMT
Oops...apologies Louise! Mixed you up with someone else. Sorry about that. I take it all back. But I still believe you are completely wrong about the book. However, you're entitled to your own opinion. All the best. John.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2011 10:00:08 GMT
BookBliss says:
Thank you for the apology John, I was a bit lost!! In all honesty I think it's probably because Patsy is recounting things that have affected her so much that the book struggles, I (obbviously) don't know her but my thought would be that it's been quite therapeutic to get it down on paper but that also she's needed to recount things just as they were, it was the matter of fact aspect of the book that I didn't enjoy. If the later part of her life has been better for her then I would hope that she'll find it easier to write about and be able to put more of her personality into it and I might find it a more enjoyable read.

Posted on 23 Jul 2011 21:21:05 BDT
Maria T says:
sorry to say but I agree with your review, this book was boring, it had no depth and I am sure Patsy had much more to say. I salute anyone who has come through the care system and made a better life for themselves and wish the author the very best for the future. Mr Donaldson is obviously a fan and does no like any criticism of this book, but we are all different and it would be a dull world if we all agreed.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2011 18:45:42 BDT
honeybunny says:
I agree with this review,the book was boring and ill developed with a lot that was unsaid that may have put the author in a bad light,as for Mr Donaldson,if he is a fan/friend he may be putting people off buying this book by his rude responses to anything remotely negative said about it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (132 customer reviews)

7.99