3.0 out of 5 stars You will love it or hate it (most likely depending on what your looking for!), 15 April 2014
This review is from: The Human Contradiction (Audio CD)
They are many reviews on the internet one side very strong loving this album and one side hating this album. I believe if you loved we are the others then you will feel this album is awful/not a great listen. If you didn't like we are the others much, then it seems this album maybe a perfect match and not disappoint you. When I say this its not in any bitterness to any opinion, but this is what it seems to be. The two albums appear to counter balance in the overall power and feelings but when i say this it has nothing to do with the skill the musicians have.

Also it has nothing to do with Delain members and their composing abilities because they are reasonably good (although I would argue they aren't good in having songs that take on a different style, such as Delain don't right big long epic songs!!)

Having listened to the album for only a week I must say I wasn't blown away as I was expecting. As discussed from above I was a massive fan of We Are The Others and so due to this I felt a little disappointed. But there are some good tracks on it! I had listened to track 2 Your Body Is A Battleground for many weeks run up to the album release and though I hoped it was the weakest track on the album after spending time listening to it I have grown to like it. I saw them live two days after I received this album and they played Track 7 Army Of Dolls live and I remember when hearing it live feeling it was too long and boring, but its a very different Delain song and as silly as it sounds after a few listens catchy and a highlight to this album. The track Scarlet is also a highlight with a ballad on piano and vocals this also stands out as a strong one here. In regards to the extras the live tracks sound basically the same as the recorded versions, except for Sever! Its recorded by one of the members doing Marcos vocals in growls, some people will like it some will hate it and some like me find it awesome just to hear a different vocal take on a popular classic Delain song!

Other things in the album left me a bit disappointed was I found various tracks like My Masquerade, Sing To Me, Lullaby, The Tragedy Of The Commons songs with potential that just weren't reached! I also found in this recordings Marco not really doing much for this album. On previous Delain albums (Lucidity, April rain) It felt like his presence was good in the mix and that if no one sang his lines it would affect the song. But in regards to Sing for me and your body is a battleground it doesn't feel like you would miss him as much as you would in other songs! And it does feel like anyone could cover the duty and you wouldn't be bothered.

In regards to Track one and three, (Here Come The Vultures, Stardust) there great but not Delain classics in my opinion, and certainly some better songs that tower these two. Also theres two Orchestral Delain songs on the album. I love songs been made orchestral, but was not keen on the choices! I think something like nothing left or A Day For Ghosts or We Are The Others or something. But that's a personal opinion!

I hope you find this a fair review! And I love this band and it is hard to say weather I would recommend this album but because I know its more personal opinion on why I'm negative about this album I do recommend you give it sometime and listens! Buy it! there an awesome band even on 'a bad album!'

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]