3.0 out of 5 stars Worst of the series, if you're a horror fan, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Alice travels to a beach where she believes survivors are, when she gets there she finds Claire Redfield who has lost her memory, but nobody else. They later fly past an abandoned prison surrounded by zombies, they amazingly manage to land the plane on the roof and join a group of survivors that coincidently contains Claire's brother, Chris. They have to find a way to get from the prison to a ship called Arcadia, where more survivors are supposed to be.

The plot for this film is very thin, and seems to lose touch even further from the games on which they're based. The acting is decent from most, but Shawn Roberts seems horribly miscast as Wesker, I think he thought he was playing Agent Smith from The Matrix. Whilst I mention The Matrix, this film has far too many Matrix style fight scenes. Wesker is able to dodge bullets in slow motion, yet he gets hit by a flying knife which moves much slower. I just found it a little strange.

The film has so many slow motion scenes, Michael Bay would be proud, it's that bad that the slow motion probably adds at least ten minutes to the run time. The opening fifteen minutes is a massively over the top action sequence, it's a million miles away from the gritty realism the first film went for. Just after the ludicrous first fifteen minutes, Alice is given an injection that makes her a regular human again. I was really glad they did this, but they seem to forget about it and within no time she's superhuman again. Many of the zombies have evolved, much in the way the vampires did in Blade 2 and they look very similar. There's a creature in this that would be right at home in a Silent Hill game, but it looked cool and I didn't mind it. My main disappointment was that this film loses all of the horror element of the games and earlier movies, this is just a full blown action film with some zombies thrown in.

Wentworth Miller plays Chris Redfield who first appears as a prisoner, he even says "I know a way out of here". I'm not sure if this was a purposeful nod to his Prison Break character Michael Schofield or not, but it got a chuckle from me. Paul W.S. Anderson is more than capable of making a really good horror film, he directed the outstanding Event Horizon. I was hoping he'd direct this film much closer to the first film, as he returned as director having stepped down for the previous two.

As a horror film, Resident Evil: Afterlife is absolutely terrible. As a brainless, summer blockbuster action film it's actually pretty good. I think it's a shame that the action has all but taken over from the horror, and I really hope that the fifth film gets back to the horror, but from the way this film ends it doesn't seem possible. The picture and sound quality on the Blu-ray is superb, and is definitely worth getting instead of the DVD. There's plenty of extras on the disc, including a commentary, featurettes, deleted scenes, outtakes and more. It had a $60,000,000 budget, so the effects are ambitious and work well most of the time, but I'd rather have a solid script over big action scenes anyday.

Resident Evil: Afterlife is not a terrible film, but it is the worst of the series so far if you're more into horror like I am. It's probably the best so far if you're after action. Milla Jovovich is made to look quite attractive again in this, they somehow managed to make her look very ordinary in Extinction. The quality of the Blu-ray which boasts excellent picture and sound means this product is worth three stars. Well worth adding to the Blu-ray collection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jul 2011 18:47:52 BDT
J. H. Butler says:
Third one is a lot worst than this but this is awful aswell.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2011 14:26:56 BDT
West25 says:
I thought the 3rd and 4th movies were a big step down from the first 2, but on second viewing I found Extinction to be okay and it at least kept some element of horror which Afterlife completely abandoned. Afterlife was pretty good though as an action film like I stated in my review, but as a player of the games which were creepy, I would much prefer a Resident Evil film that's creepy over a full blown action film.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 13:50:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2012 11:34:10 BDT
urban raider says:
@ JH Butler - I have to say I preferred the 3rd one to this

Posted on 23 Nov 2013 06:07:58 GMT
Arun says:
After having watched Resident Evil: Retribution I watched this film once again and have to say it is a lot better in comparison to the absolute steaming pile of "§=%/) that is Retribution. Seriously, Retribution makes this film look great.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2013 18:33:27 GMT
West25 says:
I completely agree with you. Resident Evil: Afterlife was okay as a mindless action film even if I wanted the horror of the first two films, but Resident Evil: Retribution was a complete and total stinker and didn't even work as an action film for me. I didn't originally like Resident Evil: Extinction until I watched Afterlife, I then gained a new appreciation for it. The same has happened again, Retribution was so bad, so very, very bad that suddenly Afterlife in comparison seems like a pretty good film. There's so many things wrong with Retribution, listing them all would turn into what looks like a shopping list. The worst thing it did was that it was nothing but 90 minutes of action scenes one after the other, and I couldn't have been more bored, action should never be boring. I'll watch the sixth film as I'm assuming they hit rock bottom with Retribution, so the next has to be better, right?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2013 22:02:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2013 22:02:57 GMT
Arun says:
Or, we'll find ourselves returning to Retribution and thinking it was actually fairly okay compared to the garbage the next film is going to be, we'll see.

Anyway here's my review of Retribution have a look:

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2013 07:07:13 GMT
West25 says:
I at least thought Afterlife was entertaining, Retribution wasn't even that so I don't think I could ever get any enjoyment out of it, regardless of how bad the sixth one will be.

I've read your review and marked it up, I agree with virtually everything you said. Not many people have mentioned that Wesker is a bad guy at the end of the fourth film, the fifth film picks up exactly where the fourth left off and suddenly he's a good guy. I'm pretty sure you could watch the fourth film, completely skip the fifth film and it wouldn't affect the series in any way, nothing is moved forward at all in Retribution. It was like watching a pretty exciting video game, it looks alright but you're watching your mate on it and not playing it yourself, so it soon gets boring. Your review was pretty much spot on, I can't believe how many people have given it five stars.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2015 20:58:35 GMT
Kodanshi says:
I liked Extinction too. Parts of it, I mean. I liked some of the more convoluted action set pieces, and I particularly loved the dessicated look of the desert zombies.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›