3.0 out of 5 stars Great battery life but average everything else..., 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: ASUS X53Z 15.6-inch Laptop (Brown) (AMD A63420M 1.5GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit) (Personal Computers)
Okay, so I've now owned mine since early August 2012 so almost three months and now time to write my review.

Mine is identical to the one here on Amazon apart from the fact mine 'only' has 4gb of RAM rather than 6gb. 4gb should be more than sufficient, especially as I've recently upgraded to Windows 8 (see edit at bottom).

The case: fair enough build quality and being an Asus, it's probably decently put together. The machine claims to have a cool palm rest and it is indeed cool even though my laptop has now been on for several hours. It's also dead silent. Being made of matt plastic, it's not a fingerprint magnet either though greasy smudges will still always show up. Even though it's brown in colour - a subjective choice - I actually find it quite an attractive machine. EDIT: I swiped the back of my hand across the lid of my laptop last night to remove dust and the silver ASUS logo partially broke up and actually cut my hand. Sharp edges, tut tut, so maybe I'll withdraw those comments about good build quality.

The keyboard: my last few laptops have had full size keyboards however this has a smaller one in order to accommodate the number pad. I must admit I could do without the number pad and would rather have full size keys but unfortunately, these don't seem to be available anymore. Oh well. For what it's worth however, the keyboard does seem well made with almost no flex in the middle.

Inputs: three USB - one of them USB 3.0 - plus an HDMI port. One of the USB ports also doubles as a charging port (you need to enable it in the settings) so it can charge devices even when the laptop is powered off. Very handy.

The screen: being an LED screen, it's almost painfully bright and I prefer the LCD screen of my old Samsung. With white text boxes, it can be hard to see if you've filled it in correctly or even whereabouts you are on the screen. Lowering the brightness often seems to have little effect as it's still very bright. But once again, LED is the new tech so I and everyone else, will have to suffer it.

Games: this isn't a gaming laptop and I don't play games anyway, so I can't comment on how they might appear.

Audio: despite allegedly having Altec Lansing speakers, this is the worst sounding laptop I've ever owned by far. Extremely tinny and nowhere near loud enough, the Altec branding is a joke. If you plan on using this to play DVD's or listen to music, you'll absolutely need to invest in a pair of external USB speakers (I recommend Logitech).

Battery life and weight: since this is a 1.5 ghz quad core processor, battery life is superb and on power saving mode, this can probably achieve five or six hours, maybe even longer. Being almost entirely made of plastics, it's also a pretty light machine so won't be too heavy to lug around in a backpack when journeying.

All in all, a pretty average machine but then it's sold at an average price. Apart from the great battery life, there's nothing spectacular here but the Asus brand hopefully means I'll get a few worry free years out of this before my next upgrade in three or four years time.

EDIT 13th November 2012: as I bought my Asus laptop only three months ago, I qualified for the £15 upgrade to Windows 8 - which I duly did two weeks ago. Can't say I liked it too much at first - it's a bit of shock and clearly designed with touch screens in mind - but you soon get used to it with use. Plus, if you do upgrade before 31st January 2013 (I think), you can also download Windows Media Centre for free which will allow you to once again play DVD's (Windows 8 won't play DVD's natively). Ignore the negative comments about Windows 8, they're just from people who want change and then when it's given to them, they want to roll back to the one that came before. There's simply no pleasing some people! :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]