Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks from a writer, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Shoestring - Series 1 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
I wrote episode 11 on the DVD ("I'm a believer"). It's very pleasing that so many people have posted such positive comments about the series.

After that episode was shown I had a huge number of letters from people whose children had been more or less abducted by sects like the Moonies, and somehow seeing it in a drama context helped them to feel that they were right in trying to prise their loved ones out of the grip of some nasty mind-controlling people.

If what I was told at the time is true, there were no more series because Trevor Eve didn't want to become type-cast in the role. Similar things happened with "Hazell", which I also wrote for.

I'm sure I can say on behalf of all the writers and Bob Banks-Stewart, who created produced it, that we did our best to make something good. We also wish that TV was as adventurous now as it was then. So thanks for watching. You're probably not aware that I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast! The fact that the episodes exist at all is a miracle - the BBC threw some very significant plays into a skip.

Jim

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jan 2012 11:05:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2012 15:35:44 GMT
D. Page says:
I'm so glad that somebody who has made a contribution to the making of this wonderful TV programme has given some comments. I'm sure it was strange for you when you saw "I'm a Believer" after all this time, on the DVD.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 2entertain uncut release of Series Two, hopefully some time this year!

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 16:17:38 GMT
D. Mitchell says:
I bought this dvd last October when it was first released and I have just got to the last episode "I'm a believer". I was taking my time and making them last with a hope that by now we would hear about the release of series two. Anyway, just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed them all including "I'm a believer". Great stuff! I'm always on looking out for any info about series 2, hope it will eventually be released and we can own both these great series of Shoestring!

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 19:44:10 BDT
Easton says:
"I'm a Believer" is in my top five along with "Knock for Knock", "The Mayfly Ball", "Find the Lady" and "Higher Ground". Brilliantly written!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 22:49:33 BDT
Jim Hawkins says:
That's kind. Thank you. I hadn't seen the episode since it was first transmitted, so it was all a surprise to me!

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be room for this kind of drama on UK TV these days. Still, you can always go and get some Hazell DVDs. Couple of mine in there :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 08:22:30 BDT
D. Mitchell says:
I have been dithering over getting Hazell for some time now. I didn't catch it TV the first time around and was lookng for clips on youtube to see if I'd like it but if it's along the same lines as Shoestring then I think I will. A reviewer on Hazell said if you like Minder you'll like Hazell and I love Minder.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2012 19:04:52 BDT
Tin Tactoo says:
Hi Jim! - wonderful stuff! - I'm A Believer was so, so near the truth in one case with a different breed of 'Happy Clappy's that I came across for 'real' as they say and watching your writing of this made me wonder just how far you were from it! - spooky! - yes, sadly there does not seem to be 'space' for anything of this nature now as its all blood n gore or into mental stuff wiv a dash of 'B n G' or need a degree to understand the actual plot (assuming it had one before it started).. Best of luck for the future and yes, you have made us very happy seeing all these episodes again.

Posted on 18 Mar 2014 22:04:29 GMT
Martin says:
Hi Jim! Just wanted to say thanks for writing a great episode of this brilliant series, one of the best of the first series!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2014 22:22:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Mar 2014 22:23:14 GMT
Jim Hawkins says:
Thanks to you all for the kind remarks. It was a very long time ago when I wrote it - but I think the Moonies were making headlines at the time.

The tough bit of being a screenwriter is than when you're invited to write a series episode you have to come up with an idea that hasn't already been done or is in the pipeline for the planned series. What feels like several centuries ago, when I was aspiring to be a TV writer, a script editor said to me "Don't use the front page of the paper - everybody else has already done that - try pages two and three."

I think the best detective fiction comes out of real things, mostly.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2014 15:20:16 GMT
Tin Tactoo says:
Any ideas as to when - or if - Shoestring Series 2 is coming out on DVD yet?. Currently looking at Son of Shoestring, 'Bergerac' on BBC 2 shown mid afternoons ( we record it to be fair as we are doing the work thing during the day!)

Posted on 20 Jan 2015 12:45:18 GMT
Avid Reader says:
Thank you Jim for your contribution to Shoestring and taking the time to comment here. Shoestring was a superb series - I also enjoyed Hazel and later Cracker. There are very few shows of that sort of quality around today.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›