4.0 out of 5 stars whets the appetite and makes me hunger for more, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Enemy Mine: 2 (Alpha and Omega) (Kindle Edition)
Enemy Mine picks up with Emory searching for Mary, his destined mate, who is also being tracked by her whack-job family, the Shepherds. If you've read book 1 (Omega Mine), you're well acquainted with this shifter world Aline Hunter has created and the enemies within it. In this book, it's more about the Shepherds, the religious zealots out to rid the world of the evil abomination that are shapeshifters. Caught in the middle, between her crazy family and the wolf shifter who loves her and seeks to claim her, is Mary.

At first, I wasn't too in love with Mary, but she did grow on me, the braver she acted. She soon had her moments, but it was Emory who stole the show from Mary in my book. How can you not love a hero so caught up in a woman that, even feeling hurt by her rejection, he is still determined to find her and love her? While Emory is gentle and loving and consumed with Mary, he is by no means a whipped puppy. This man is an alpha male wolf, and when he growls, "I don't share what's mine. And you're mine, angel eyes. Only mine," I was loving that jealous possessiveness. No one, friend or foe, was going to come between him and "his female." Emory is sweet as well as tough; he is a wonderful hero, not too over the top but still forceful and very sexy, a big bad wolf to the rescue.

We get to see more of Emory's brother, Trey; the mage vampire, Sadie; the pack Beta, Nathan; the panther Alpha, Kinsley; Diskant and Ava from book 1; a new character called Leigh; and lastly, the human bad-azz, Caden Stone. How on Earth did I forget him from the last book? Seeing him again and just imagining this tough, embittered man meeting his match in a witch, well, I can't wait for his book. So, here in Enemy Mine we're touching base with past characters, good and bad, and making some new connections, and finding out some exciting stuff with Trey and Nathan, as future book scenarios are set up.

I hate when an author throws too much information at a reader as she sets up the next several books, but AH very seamlessly established more of the overall storyline and of the bigger picture as she told us the story of Emory and Mary. Only for a brief moment did I feel the story was a bit tentative in the beginning, but around chapters 3/4, I felt AH really hit her stride. From that moment on, the story was filled with action and excitement and sex, keeping me fully involved in it. I also think AH smoothly balanced the action with the sex and romance elements.

While Enemy Mine didn't surpass Diskant and Omega Mine as my favorite so far, it still provided a fast-paced and very erotic read with lots of action and romance. I do think it's necessary to read Omega Mine first; I recommend doing that. Enemy Mine is a solid second installment in the Alpha and Omega Series, and I can see this series getting even better and more exciting as AH writes more of it. I can't wait for book 3 about Trey and Sadie (Vampire Mine); that one scene we have of them rolling in the grass with Trey finally getting his hands on his destined mate had me salivating for that book. I just hope we don't have to wait too long for it. I think that book could be even better than books 1 and 2, and that's saying something. I'm very intrigued with Sadie, and when Trey hurt her, I felt that.

Really, there is a lot to look forward to with this series. I'm now wondering who book 4 will be about: Caden or Nathan. I want both now! This is a great series for erotic romance/PNR lovers. Omega Mine started it all, and Enemy Mine maintains that momentum and ends with this reader even more excited about what's to come next. Waiting is the hardest part.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]