1.0 out of 5 stars Duracell batteries not what they used to be, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Duracell MN1300 Plus Power D Size Batteries--Pack of 6 (Accessory)
I have used Duracell batteries for 3 decades because they never leaked and were guaranteed not to do so. However in the last 18 Months I have had Duracell batteries leak in a clock, a toy train and most recently a Wii controller. The Wii batteries where marked as good until 2018 and had only been in the controller for 6 months.

After researching this I have found many people have had Duracell batteries leak. After contacting Duracell I have also learned that they no longer guarantee their batteries against leaking.

Very disappointing given that Duracell have managed to consistently make batteries that don't leak for all these years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 May 2013 07:15:44 BDT
I have to agree, having had some copper-top and Procell versions leak on me recently. I've had leaks with Panasonic too, so I'm not sure who's now the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 18:54:45 BDT
S. Hayward says:
As far as I can see, no one offers a guarantee against leaking on alkaline batteries, although its incredible how many people still talk about Duracell having such a guarantee.

I now avoid all brands of alkaline batteries. I use Ansman, Uniross and Maha (LSD NimH) low discharge rechargeable batteries in most of my equipment as they are very unlikely to leak. They don't last as long as alkaline batteries but they are a lot better than rechargeable batteries used to be because they don't lose their charge so quickly when they are not in use. I keep spare ones ready charged so I can replace them immediately which works well. Even after 4 months there's no noticeable loss of charge.

In things like clocks, remote controls and torches I'm trying Energiser lithium batteries because they are apparently much less likely to leak than alkaline batteries.
To test it for myself I set up 2 sacrificial torches in January this year to see how the Energiser Lithiums perform. One has been in the unheated garage all this time and it still works with no leaks. The second one I deliberately left switched on, the batteries are flat but no leaks yet after nearly 5 months.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 06:27:55 BDT
Be wary with Lithium batteries as they can damage some equipment. Some manufacturers (ie. Alpkit) recommend against them: "Lithium batteries have a high output during discharge which means they can cause the torch to overheat and possibly damage electronics and LEDs."
Great in a camera, that has a 'Lithium' setting, but otherwise, care is advised.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 10:38:47 BDT
S. Hayward says:
Thanks for that, Iv'e heard of early Li-ion batteries bursting into flames but wasn't aware of the overheating issue with Lithiums. I will watch out for that before using them in anything else. No problems so far so I guess I have been lucky.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 19:18:21 BDT
Glad to help. Thanks in turn for the "Ansman, Uniross & Maha" info. I have Sanyo Eneloops in two cameras and swear by them, but wasn't aware that the other manufacturers had caught up. Perhaps that means goodbye to the alkalines for good! Here's hoping.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 20:23:01 BDT
S. Hayward says:
If you are looking to replace all your alkalines then Ansman Maxe, Uniross Hybrio and Maha imedion are the low discharge versions.
I think the Ansmans and Mahas have a slight edge on the Uniross but I got the Uniross for half the price so they were great value.
Of the batteries I got the Uniross and Ansman AAs are 2400 and 2500 mah respectivly.
I also got Maha AAA, C and D batteries which are 950, 5000 and 9500 mah respectively.
After all the money I spent on them I hope they are at least as good as your Sanyos.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›