5.0 out of 5 stars My wandering days are over - true love has been found, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Samsung 46-inch 3D Smart LED TV UE46ES6300 Full HD 1080p with Wi-Fi built-in and Freeview HD - 2 x glasses included (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I hope I never have children, as I could never love them like I love my Samsung TV.

I am a very technical person. I love my computer, I love my technology. I had a 10 year old CRT TV that needed replacing. I wanted to buy a TV that I could keep for a very long time. That could become part of my family. I found true love and more in the Samsung UE46ES6300.

My criteria for a TV were that it needed to be high quality, at least 42 inch, capable of playing movies of various formats across my network, customisable, have a good range of apps, and be beautiful. And be less than 1000. I watch TV quite regularly but audio/visual is not a real passion of mine - you won't find me plugging in giant speakers or measuring the tiniest variations in picture quality. I wanted something that walked the fine line between being brilliant out of the box but also flexible to my requirements.

Let's talk details.

-Look
It's beautiful. Sleek, black, and understated. For a TV of its size (46inch), it doesn't feel too big in the room. In fact, my partner and I spent some time just looking at the TV before actually plugging it in. The screen is slightly reflective but not too bad. It looks like a piece of art. That's right - this TV is so beautiful you can watch it when it's turned off.

-Set-up and Networking
Screwing on the stand was very easy - there is little physical set-up required. This TV has wireless built in. It does, it does. And it works so very, very well. Set up was done within minutes. Freeview HD tuned. Network logged in. Firmware updated. Apps loaded. Streaming through iPlayer across my wireless network is a charm. I have even used the web browser to watch videos and use sites, and it's surprisingly useful - though you'll want to use your phone to help type. It's not something I would use for day-to-day browsing but it's great if you just have to have a giant version of your favourite website in front of you.

-Picture
The picture is phenomenal. Amazing. Wonderful. There are not enough superlatives to describe it. There are a great deal of settings to play with, as others have said before, and you WILL need to spend an hour or two setting them up just the way you like. The MotionPlus feature which smooths movement and gives an effective refresh rate of 200hz (I know, my mind was also blown) is so effective at making things look realistic that on standard settings it makes regular movies look like crappy daytime soaps. The movement is so smooth, the lighting so well managed, that it doesn't look like a film any more, it looks like a documentary. The 'Movie' preset is a must - it artificially washes out colours, slows the refresh and generally makes the movie look more like a movie. I do however thoroughly recommend that you enjoy this TV at its best by leaving the regular presets in place and watching Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage. (It must be a terrible film.) The TV picks out all the terrible bits of set, all the awful nuances of the actor's face, and generally makes the film look like it was made of a budget of 40. Honestly, try it. It's brilliant. Then use the Movie preset to actually enjoy a proper film.

I connected this with a Sony blu-ray player. We only have one Blu-ray disc right now (Up by Pixar) so stuck that on. Within 7 seconds of starting the film, I understand what it must be like to be on some incredible, spiritual journey. The colours were so rich, the characters so detailed, it really felt like it was just a window into a beautiful world of talking dogs and balloons. Documentaries are similarly amazing.

-Sound
I care not for floor-trembling bass or angel-like treble. As long as it's clear that's fine for me. The inbuilt speakers are perfect for my needs and will probably be for most people too. The fact that I don't actually know where in the TV the speakers are only adds to the aura of magic.

-3D
I did not want 3D in my TV - I couldn't care less about it. But this was the best TV for my other criteria so I got it anyway. And since I had it, hey, why not try it out. The 3D glasses included are fine to wear, even over my own regular glasses. I do not have any 3D films so can't properly comment, but once the glasses are turned on and connected to the TV (active shutter sorcery), you can turn on false 3D on any channel or DVD. I tried on the opening scene of my 2d, standard DVD of Gladiator. And I was really impressed. The effect worked surprisingly well and didn't give me any headache like passive glasses usually do. I can only be glad that it wasn't a true 3D version of the film, as I would have probably been screaming in terror at the horses galloping towards my face. A brilliant toy and for someone like me who doesn't really care about 3D, absolutely worth having. Looking forward to trying it properly with a 3D film.

-Apps
iPlayer, Lovefilm and YouTube are the ones I've tried and they all work excellently. Great quality stream, easy to use, quick. I have not much else to add.

-Remote control
This gets its own category on account of how incredible they are. The TV remote is easy to use and comfortable. When I was testing the TV with a DVD, I realised that I had been using the TV remote to control the DVD player - and it had been working! The DVD player is Sony. I had not set it up to do this in any way, it just had. The only explanation I can think of is witchcraft. Just to make things even more brilliant, I thought I'd try the Samsung Remote app on my Android phone (HTC Desire). I didn't really think it would work, but once connected to the home wireless, it just did. Really well. You get a full remote on your phone, you can use the phone keyboard when typing (e.g. using the browser), it gives you impressively responsive volume control etc - almost as quick as using the proper remote.

-Summary
I have not yet had a chance to check video streaming from my network drive but will edit when I have. Even if it doesn't work at all, this TV will still be one of the very best purchases I have ever made. It has made watching TV and films such a joy and even makes my living room look better. Don't think about it any more, buy this TV.

Samsung TV, welcome to the family. I love you.

[Add comment]