5.0 out of 5 stars the most intuitive deck I have ever used, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Faeries Oracle (Hardcover)
I don't know how many people reading these reviews will be like me.

I have NEVER been able to quite get to grips with Tarot. I can understand the meanings, and remember them, but that is still quite a flat way of reading. it doesn't flow, it isn't personal and it doesn't work for me.

I've tried. it's just not me. I've always had more of a knack for scrying and dowsing methods that are a lot more fluid. like the pendulum or a black mirror. or switched off tv screen, pool of inky water, you get the idea.

I have long been a fan of Brian Frouds art. these are not twinkly little flower fairies skipping lightly among the toadstools and shimmering like a pop culture vampire. these faeries are more than that. these faeries are real. some are beautiful, some are ugly, some are cruel, most are at best mischievous and at worst downright malicious.

I don't think that I'd be doing this review justice if I don't own up to this, something as a 31 year old woman, I don't often admit to unless I know the person I'm talking to well. I DO beleive in Faeries. like most people I grew out of that, but soon grew back into it again after seeing what I could only process as being a rather twisted, ugly, but unmistakeably human form with cranefly like wings. could be my imagination, could be my eyes, could have been a hallucination, but for me that was proof enough. I don't expect anyone to drop everything and beleive just because some random person on the internet saw a faerie.

now, I live in Cornwall. and have had many a discussion where that person I've admitted it to, widens their eyes, and admits they have them too.

they are not sweet. they are rarely helpful. when they are it's often a nuisance.
they have a wicked sense of humour, usually at your expense.

and I'd moved house, to an area where they weren't as rife. and was glad of not having stuff going missing all the time.

then I met these cards. they were sat in among books of artwork in a tattoo parlour. I shuffled the deck. and then I managed a very accurate reading for the friend that was with me. things I saw came to pass within the next few weeks. I would look at the cards, and have my eye drawn to certain figures, or shapes or situations, and understand how that related to the case at hand. they are SO intuitive. to read an unfamiliar deck, and not a tarot, so not the same symbolisms you can encounter in common with other decks, and know it well was completely alien to me, and I knew I had to get that deck.

I also knew that if I took that deck into my house, it would most likely be an open invitation to let the Faeries back into my life. and I'm glad I did. I realised I'd sort of missed them.

I take Faeries seriously. as seriously as they can let you take them. when you're the butt of their jokes, you learn to laugh at yourself, and living with them is not easy but it's never boring.

the deck itself is a comfortable size for my smallish hands, and the artwork will be mostly familiar to fans of Frouds artwork, having appeared in his books, most of them are in Good Faeries/Bad Faeries. the colours are mostly slightly muted and nicely natural with bright points of light in many of the images. The Singers are shapes and light and colours, more abstract, but still very readable. some cards are in a more scratchy, sketchy style in greens and browns and greys, while most are detailed and more realistic in style. the reverse features an image which is on one of the cards, where goblin faces are jumbled together, and are upright whether the card is in reverse or upright, so if you like to work with reversals, this will work. however I've never found a need to work reversals into my readings with them, as the same card can read COMPLETELY differently on different days, depending where the card gets you to look. having said that, whenever I pull the card that has the reversable faces, it is often upside down, despite always being returned to the deck the right way up. this is classic Faerie humour. like having a little raspberry blown at you.

I also found that this deck doesn't like a formal layout too much. I start with six cards in positions that work for me to have a framework for the reading, and from there, go freestyle. asking questions on situations and influences, and often questions on the questions.
I also find that rather the way this deck reads for me is rather like it's showing me different forces at play in a situation, rather than dealing just with the situation. some of the readings can be quite lateral, but the people I have read for are often surprised by some of the things that come out. it seems to pick up less on things and more on feelings. not just the situation, but how you feel about that situation.

so. while I have found I don't need it often, I suppose some attention must be given to the book.
it has some excellent exercises for getting to know the deck, and some good interpretations, considering how changeable every card is. it also shows a good understanding of the nature of Faeries, albeit a SLIGHTLY idealised one. their humour and personality is there to see in the book.

so. I love this deck. I keep it with me in my handbag most of the time, and will often have an on the spot reading out and about. although they are just card and ink, there is real personality in this deck. intuition and humour and more than a bit of gentle teasing, reminding you not to take them, yourself, or life TOO seriously.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]